Land Run 100, a whole new beast

(Lesley Craig) #1

I have been a cyclist for 5 years and keto for almost 2. I’ve done several road rides (mostly flat) with some milage and no issues. Trails and XC races (my first love) have been mostly under 15 miles with some pretty massive elevation and power surges needed to climb. I’ve only really bonked once and it was a hot day and I didn’t have enough electrolytes on board. We recently did a 33 mile 3k foot elevation gravel ride. My legs cramped up towards the end and were sore for several days but I finished and felt good about my time. Next weekend is Land Run and we’ve signed up for 50 miles of gravel. I’ve heard horror stories about this ride and am trying to mentally prepare myself. I usually just take sport salts, some almond butter packs, maybe a quest bar or two and some bcaas for after but I’m wondering if I shouldn’t pack some easy carbs just in case I cramp up. The phone signal and SAG isn’t so great and I’m a little scared of the middle of nowhere fallout possibility.

I’ve seen several people on here talk about endurance running and cycling (which I don’t have a problem with) as the speed and output are fairly consistent throughout. These rides are more power through a hill, have a few minutes to recover, repeat for hours. Any thoughts on nutrition?

(Lara Butler) #2

Performance means being prepared. I did 1/2 iron distance (70.3) racing when I was younger and am keto now 3 years. Dehydration and electrolyte depletion cost me health-wise because I didn’t know then what you know now! My advice is yes, bring your carbs and hydrate with electrolytes for several days before the race, not just during. I add Himalayan Sea Salt with iodine, liquid magnesium and trace minerals to my water all day long now. Otherwise my feet cramp at night. Avoid types of magnesium that talk about “bowel tolerance” as you don’t want to discover yours during a race! Nutrition is what separates winners from folks who wish they’d paid more attention – good for you that you are!!