Lamb Intolerance- Keto Experiment (Finished)

(Bob M) #22

I have found that determining a response to food is quite difficult. I only have two known responses, one to wheat (pizza) and one to hot peppers/sauce. Both of these give me easy to find responses. I may have responses to some vegetables, like zucchini. I don’t eat it often enough to know. However, for most others, I swear I had a response to a food, then eat that food later and have no response. I thought I had a response to fermented pickles, and then I ate them a while away from dinner and had no response. That’s another issue – if you mix foods, you might not get the same response.

Thanks for the response.

Whatever the case is it seems that either a) my body has naturally overcome the allergy/intolerance just from the act of not eating lamb for a number of years or b) an aspect of the keto diet has improved or repaired my ability to be able to digest lamb.

It’s amazing how the microbiome’s bacterial balance changes within 20 minutes of eating food, and how LCHF can restore enzymatic balance & digestive strength over many months. Personally, I try to take one Ginger capsule per day if not cooking with it - it’s an adaptogen that is an enzyme-precursor and digestive aid along with being a superfood that does wonders for reducing cortisol and insulin and fibrin.

I’ve never heard of lamb intolerance per se… just enzymatic imbalances. I love to eat my lamb very tender either by only searing it in ghee for 1 minute each side - or by slow simmering in a red wine infused spice fry.

Keto experiments are FUN :sheep: :sparkles:

Well that is the main thing :slight_smile: You’re not a true Aussie if you don’t eat lamb!!!

ROUND 3

Well, it seems my lamb intolerance is no more! Last night at a family gathering I ate a bunch of barbecued lamb cutlets (served with a homemade rosemary, garlic and pine nut dressing) and 16 hours later haven’t felt any adverse effects!

Looks like I can confidently start eating lamb again. My wife is very happy (she loves her lamb)

Chris- 3, Lamb Intolerance- 0 TKO

(Note- Saying that, I imagine if I ever dropped my Keto shield in the future and allowed Lamb to team back up with his Carb mates, they’d probably beat me black and blue down a side alley somewhere) :smiley:

(Khalil Fallatah) #27

It’s an old topic but I have to say that I also go through this issue for years now and I’m managing still but one thing I found is that the fatty parts of the lamb are the worst and also the way it cooked. Here in Saudi Arabia people only eat lamb and nothing else as a red meat so every gathering or anyone want to throw a dinner party it’s lamb meat all over it so I eat little amounts and avoid the fats.

(Laurie) #28

Welcome to the forum, Khalil. Thank you for the valuable insight.

(Bob M) #29

I wonder why lamb and nothing else? It’s interesting to see by different countries/cultures what people eat for meat. Chicken is more popular certain places (like the US) than others, for instance. Lamb, goat, these aren’t very known in the US, but are more prevalent elsewhere.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

Most edible proteins are composed of the same amino acids, just linked and folded differently. I suppose, however, it is possible to lack the precise enzymes (or one of them) needed to take apart lamb proteins (or some, if not all). After all, we know that people can have trouble with milk proteins. It’s just that meats entered the human diet so much earlier than dairy, that you wouldn’t expect any trouble with meat proteins, because people who had trouble would have been removed from the gene pool pretty early on.

It is also possible, I suppose, that the epigenetic effects of a high-carb diet could be involved here, too. (I am thinking along the lines of what we know of the effects of insulin and β-hydroxybutyrate on the genes that interfere with the body’s endogenous anti-oxidants.)

(Bob M) #31

Though you also have to include how they are raised. Lamb in the US is fed grains, for instance, while lamb in other locations is not. How much does eating grains change the meat for lamb? I’m not sure, though I assume it’ll have a higher PUFA content than grass-fed.

Ruminants are tricky, because their rumens convert PUFAs to saturated fat, though not completely (which is why grain-fed beef has a different PUFA ratio than grass-fed).

And even eating grains, the grains can be different and have less PUFAs, or – I assume – cause different tastes to the meat.