Lamb chop query

(Norma Laming) #1

I’ve got about 1kg / 2.2lbs lamb chops defrosting. I want to cook them all at once so I can eat exactly to appetite. I like lamb to be pink-ish on the inside but I also only really like the skin when it’s crisp. If I fry them I’ll get pink flesh but not crispy skin but if I bake them I’ll get crispy skin but the flesh will be more cooked than I like.
What to do? The only thing I can think of is to cut off the skin and fry that first to crisp and then fry the flesh until it’s pink.
Is there an easier way?

(Running from stupidity) #2

Sous vide, but that may not help you right away :slight_smile:

(bulkbiker) #3

I do something like a reverse sear… oven cook (roast) on a fairly low temp for 10-15 minutes… I do at 150 Celsius… for pink probably 10 minutes then grill (in US Broil) for 5 minutes per side to crisp up the outside. If you like them really pink maybe just 4 minutes per side.It will depend on the thickness so you may want to experiment a little. Works a treat for me.

(Mike W.) #4

Beat me to it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

I love my chops very pink inside, I just use the broiler. Depending on how thick they are 3-5 mins. per side. Crisps up nicely and stays pink inside.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #6

High heat. I’d use my grill, with the griddle that gets really hot, over the seat burner, which gets the griddle over 700*.

But your broiler might work. Highest heat and if you have a convection fan, that.

Shallow pan fry would be the other way to do it, in cast iron or some such.

High heat, cast iron, and… ghee! Plus generous salt. Only for one minute on each side - very rare. So so very tasty. Creates a bit o’ sweet crisp on the outside.

If you add some red wine to the pan too, it creates a lovely French dimension of extra flavor. You can also add a couple sardines or anchovies to give it that indescribably mysterious good umami taste. :sheep:

(Norma Laming) #8

Thanks I’ll try that

(Norma Laming) #9

Thanks I think that might be what I’ll try. I have a couple of chicken carcasses I want to brown in the oven before making stock so I’ll put the chops in briefly after those and then grill for a few minutes

Norma Laming,

and possibly dictated hence odd punctuation/ spelling

(Bob M) #10

I’d use anchovies instead of sardines. Or red boat fish sauce.