Labeling info for eggs. A keto staple that is affordable

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

I stumbled upon this information about what labeling on eggs means. I use a lot of eggs now, and I like to know what I am paying for when I opt for a more expensive choice. The source is: https://www.eggnutritioncenter.org/

Antibiotic-free: This term can be misleading as all eggs produced in the U.S., even if not specified on the egg carton, are antibiotic-free.

Brown eggs: Eggs that are laid by red-brown feathered breeds of hens. The nutrient content of brown eggs is the same as white eggs. Nutrient content has nothing to do with shell color.

Cage-free/free-roaming: Eggs laid by hens at indoor floor operations, sometimes called free roaming. The hens may roam in a building, room or open area, usually in a barn or poultry house, and have unlimited access to fresh food and water, while some may also forage for food if they are allowed outdoors. Cage-free systems vary and include barn-raised and free-range hens, both of which have shelter that helps protect against predators. Both types are produced under common handling and care practices, which provide floor space, nest space and perches. Depending on the farm, these housing systems may or may not have an automated egg collection system.

Free-range eggs: Eggs produced by hens that have access to the outdoors in accordance with weather, environment or state laws. The birds have continuous access to fresh food and water and may forage for wild plants and insects. They are also provided floor space, nesting space, and perches.

Natural: The United States Department of Agriculture identifies all shell eggs as natural.

Nutrient-enhanced eggs: Eggs that are produced by hens fed a special diet that may include things like flax seed, marine algae or fish oils.

Organic eggs: eggs that are laid by cage-free, free-roaming hens that are raised on certified organic feed and have access to the outdoors. The hens’ feed is grown without most synthetic pesticides, fungicides, herbicides or fertilizers, and 100 percent of the agricultural ingredients must be certified organic. Antibiotics and growth hormones are prohibited (although these will not be found in any shell eggs).

Pasteurized eggs: Eggs heated to temperatures just below the coagulation point to destroy pathogens. These eggs are recommended for recipes that call for raw eggs or for people susceptible to illness who prefer runny eggs. Pasteurized eggs must be kept refrigerated.

Pastured eggs: pastured eggs originate from hens to free to roam and forage on a maintained pasture area. The vegetarian diet may be supplemented with grain. The hens are moved to various pasture areas to maintain vegetation.

Vegetarian eggs: Produced by hens fed a vegetarian diet.

(Brian) #2

I find it fascinating that so many people seem to think of a vegetarian diet for a chicken as something natural. A chicken is not a vegetarian, not by a long stretch. In their natural world, they’ll eat bugs, slugs, grasshoppers, mice, moles, voles, worms, grubs, even road kill. They’re not fussy eaters. Yes, they will eat grass and grains and they are quite fond of watermelon seeds. But vegetarians, um, no.

That said, I really do like being able to buy eggs from local places that let their chickens out on pasture. They’re around here. I know not all have access to people like that. I would like to have some chickens of my own at some point but have other priorities right now, especially with the fact that I can get really good local eggs for what seems like less than what it would cost me to produce.

If I really did have to buy eggs from the grocery store, it would be quite a troublesome thing trying to figure out what to buy but the terms above would definitely come into play.

:slight_smile:

(Sophie) #3

@collaroygal Thanks for posting this. There is lots of misconceptions about this perfect food.

My farmer friend, who gifts me with eggs in return for empty cartons (how fab is that?!?!) says her girls will eat most thing! When we go to lunch, I get my burgers with the bun and kick it over to the chicken feed take out box. I also give her stale taco shells that hubby doesn’t eat etc. It’s a win-win.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

I know they are omnivore, I just liked the listing of what the labels say. My great auntie feed her chickens all kinds of things, what they wouldn’t eat the pigs would.

Justpeachy it is great she is generous. I bet those eggs are terrific ones too.

I did get to have some duck eggs recently. I remembered them as good, but OMG the yolks were heavenly, smooth, rich, and creamy.

(Sophie) #5

Would LOVE to try some of those for real! :+1:

And yes, my farmer friend is one in a million! They pasture raise beef and she’s going to give me some ox tails and tongues when they take them for slaughter. I Luves Her! :heart_eyes:

Thanks collaroygal! I have been confused in the past.