"Know it all Vegetarians" room mates are really critical! Needing to get on Keto again. How do you cope?

(LIzbethinnfeelgood) #1

Anyone have this problem? How do you cope?

I have gained a good bit of weight moving into a house full of vegetarians. Feeling significant pressure to eat their way. They all look depressed and sickly though so I know I would feel differently if I was to get back on Keto.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Eat what you want. Be a strong person who makes your own decisions. Eat the way you feel best. :cowboy_hat_face:

I bet they wouldnt mind if u ate pizza all day, as it is vegetarian. :rofl:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #4

Remind them that you don’t criticise waht they eat (make sure that is true.) Offer to use your own pans and utensils for cooking meat, just so they know you respect their right to eat their own way and acknowledge you are doing things differently.

I know it feels crappy to be criticised in your own home. But if you hold your ground without returning the anger, it will get better.

You’re the only one who lives in your body, and you owe it to yourself to feed that body well!

As @Ruina says, be respectful, but otherwise don’t engage about food with anyone who wants to criticize what you eat. Pick an auto-response (like “yeah, but it doesn’t work for me” or just “thanks for your input”) and change the subject. Repeat 100x/day if needed.

Whenever possible, I try to approach difficult situations politely, respectfully, and with a bit of humor. I work with a few vegetarians, and one gal who is unique- not a veg, but refuses to eat beef. She just loves cows.
My diet is mainly beef, and some egg/chicken. I will sit at our little table in the breakroom and eat, it doesn’t matter who’s in there- and I have gotten some comments, questions, and a little snarkiness. I just explain I’m a second hand vegetarian. All of my animals are grass/pasture fed, and roam wherever. I’m an avid gardener in the warmer months, and use the manure to fortify the soil, and grow veg and flowers.
Some want more technical discussions, and then we go into oxylates, GMO’s and allergies. I’ve got no problem with debating with them- and will at times have to simply agree to disagree politely. Sometimes that’s all you can do.
The most tense discussions I’ve had usually center on “Why”…like why be a carnivore? … So, with reading everything on the forum, and having experienced a miracle in my health, it’s pretty easy to answer intelligently and honestly. Zero inflammation. Lost 50 pounds so far. Feel fantastic. Skin conditions gone. Energy level - incredible. Hair and nails growing back. etc.

What typically happens is a mutual respect sort of emerges over time. And, that’s all you can hope for. I respect their commitment to their notion that they’re doing the right thing. They respect my position, and don’t harass me.

You just stick to your eating plan, and let your results do the talking. Be strong, and arm yourself with facts and science. There is plenty here to learn from.
KCKO!

oh boy they wouldn’t want me in that house at all! HAHA

I would boil it straight down to brass tacks. I am not shy, I would tell them to shut the ____ up and mind their food they eat and I will eat any way I want without pressure of them cause I pay my share of the rent to use to the kitchen as I want.

first I would gather them up and say this ‘kinda nicely’ and then at the end of my speech to them I would then say, we all best be minding our own business on food choices of each of us or there is gonna be WW3 in here LOL

yea I am that type :slight_smile: I would never allow anyone to compromise my heath or food choices ever. Just me maybe LOL

best of luck!!

(Scott) #8

If it was me there I have no doubt that I would be banned. I only eat meat now and the smell of bacon or a nice steak would cause them play youtube videos of all the suffering I am causing. Of course I would counter with explaining how nutritionally complete meat is. In the end neither side will see the other point of view and I would be shown the door. Good luck!

(Wendy) #9

Welcome Elizabeth!
Alot of people dont understand. And they’re usually pretty set in they’re minds. Just do your thing and they will see your results! Weightloss, Inflammation decreases, extra energy… then maybe they will understand. But, dont count on it!!

(Ken) #10

Here’s the points I cover with “Charismatic Vegans” when they try to push their Faith-Based, unscientific Religious Morality on me.

Mankind, and especially our Species, evolved on Meat and Fat. We were/are clearly evolving towards Obligate Carnivory. This is evidenced by our inability to make B-12, at least at a point in our digestive system where it can be absorbed. Our ability to not only survive, but thrive on an animal based diet, with technically no requirement for ingesting plants at all. So, Veganism is a denial of not only Evolution, but Digestive Biochemistry as well.

Veganism/Vegetarianism is not “Green” or beneficial to the Planet. It takes far more resources to produce 1000 calories of energy from plant foods than animal foods. The sheer amount energy for both production as well as transportation per calorie of plant food far outstrips that required for meat and fat. That plus the belief Man’s minor contribution to atmospheric CO2 causes Climate Change.is purely a religious belief, as the concept was decisively rebutted since 2005, when the Dansgaard-Oeschegger Cycle was identified as the primary driver of Climate Change, all from the Greenland Ice Core Project(GRIP) and has been confirmed by an additional 60 scientific studies since.

I then point out that what they actually are is Religious, since their beliefs are based on Faith, not Science, and their infliction of their religious Subjective Morality on others is no different than any other religious fundamentalist.

By this time they usually set their hair on fire and start running around in circles screaming. They usually have a typical religious reaction because their faith based morality is challenged. They always fall back on Denial, Dismissal, and Demonization rather than any type of intellectual Rebuttal or Refutation. I of course point out that this is merely a Religious Reaction, and they cannot expect for a rational person to take them seriously.

Occasionally this results in an Epiphany.

It truly is shameful the way we treat animals. They should at least be able to live their lives more freely and in the sunshine instead of in such tortuous circumstances. Having said that, hominids are carnivores. We just used to hunt the meat we ate and the animals could roam freely. Now we have too many mouths to feed, but that doesn’t excuse such cruelty to me.
Having said that- I am 67 years old and I cannot tell you how many times in my lifetime I have been confronted with different views and pushy people. Those who won’t let you make your own decisions or live your own life are simply bullies. They are trying to bully you. We will always and repeatedly have to make our own decisions and stand our ground for ourselves. Maybe you can talk tolerance- but I wouldn’t even try to defend myself anymore because with that stance, it is like one is already on losing ground because defending is a sign of the need to justify my actions.

(BuckRimfire) #12

Another vote here for “deflect and disengage.” Unless you WANT a long and likely fruitless argument, politely saying “thanks, but I need to see how this works for me” should be the best policy.

If they don’t want to change the subject, I suggest that you agree to discuss it further, but only AFTER they’ve read either Good Calories, Bad Calories or The Big Fat Surprise cover to cover, so you can be sure you both have plenty of common information. GCBC is about 450 pages, and I think TBFS is close to the same length. In the very unlikely event that they agree, that should at least postpone the argument for quite a while!

You could also give them links to YouTube videos by Nina Teicholz, Georgia Ede, Belinda Fettke, Sarah Hallberg, etc and say #BelieveWomen. See how that bit of confrontation works out. :wink:

(Marianne) #13

Yes, I’m afraid that @Lizbethin is going to be in for a rash of &^%# from her roomies if she starts eating keto. Normally, with non-keto eaters, one’s personal choice doesn’t matter because it really doesn’t impact anyone else. If that were the case here, I’d have no problem respectfully asserting my personal choices and not giving a damn. However, in this situation, just like with second hand smoke, I fear that her roommates are going to object even when they can detect the smell of cooking meat. I don’t know what you do about that.

Good luck.

(Bunny) #14

Basic supplies bacon, eggs, butter get fat adapted as soon as possible?

(Ken) #15

When is the last time you were on a Farm? In general, it’s a pretty humane environment for animals. I’m not aware of any farmers who are Sadists, and keeping animals in decent surroundings not only prevents disease, but insures they grow efficiently to the point they can be processed as food.

Do you understand what actually happens in the Wild when prey animals are eaten by predators? They are often fed on while still alive. Nature is not Humane, only Humans have that capability. Farmed animals exist for one purpose. To provide animals for human food.

@240lbfatloss
Just seen a lot of fotos in the media. Chicken farms. Pigs held in tight quarters. Puppy farms too. Where I live there is a lot of publicity for “free range” eggs- etc etc etc

(LIzbethinnfeelgood) #18

It would be great if I was there right now but I’m not. Extra stressed with everything going on in my life and with COVID concerns. That why I wrote. I hope to borrow some strength from all of you to face them down as I can. Until I have more my own again. Thank you!

(LIzbethinnfeelgood) #19

Yes…right! I will go and get more of those items first thing in the morning.

In Hawaii so I am worrying a little about food scarcity should the food stop coming in.

I found one package of bacon several days ago. Butter is available. Olive oil too. Eggs. Ground beef. I don’t have much room to store anything. On the other hand it would be a great time to fast.

Try to get fat adapted as soon as I can is the best idea. I do well when fat adapted and can fight off the nastiest of the Vegan or Vegetarian.

('Jackie P') #20

Are you AKA Nessa from Gavin and Stacey?:rofl:

I had to go look that up, I had no clue on it LOL