Knocked out of Keto and gained weight!

Hi all, I’ve been eating ketogenic for around a month and doing really well. Managed to keep ketones high (Ketostix) and weight is coming off and body fat % reducing.

Until yesterday/this morning!!! Something has knocked me straight out of ketosis! The ketones were barely traceable on the Ketostix this morning and I put on weight - 1.5 lbs in a day!!!

Yesterday I ate:
Cheese omlette
Saag paneer (paneer, spinach, cream, spices)
Fathead nachos with guacamole
And a fair few pecan nuts that I Coated in a Keto recipe for sated caramel and 100% dark chocolate - wow these were amazing!!

My thoughts are that it was the salted caramel. I used:
Heavy cream
Xylitol
Butter
Water

I have been using xylitol in small quantities and been ok but this recipe had quite a lot in so I’m
Wondering if I’m this quantity it makes the recipe not really ketogenic?

Please help! The remainder of those coated pecans are still in my fridge calling to me, they are so yummy. But I’ve asked myself the question “are they worth the weight gain?” My answer is “had I already reached my goals then he’ll yes I’d say they were worth it, but given that I haven’t yet, if they are the culprit they have to get thrown out!”

(Ken) #2

You’re fine. Just because you experienced a reduction in ketone production doesn’t mean you were knocked out of Lipolysis. Don’t get fixated on ketones, they’re only one aspect of lipolysis, and since they’re merely a supplemental energy source, it’s normal for their levels to flux up and down. Your weight popped up due to water, which is no big deal. Probably due to some extra salt intake.

(Allie) #3

Please throw the pee sticks away.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

Unless you had a significant cheat, it’s unlikely you are out of ketosis. It’s possible a sweetener is causing an insulin spike.

But is also possible you are starting to become fat adapted and your body is using the ketones as fuel, thus you see a dip in ketone levels.

Also 1.5 pounds in one day is nothing. Get used to bouncing up and down on a daily basis.
It’s the trend you want to watch. I’ve even had a 5 pound jump. Most likely it’s water weight.
This is a visual of my last 30 days and how typical daily fluctuations are. It’s no big deal.

(Dom DePlume) #5

As above: don’t sweat it. Ketosis isn’t some magic state: it ebbs and flows with your metabolism. If you’ve been doing this for only a month or so, you’re barely fat adapted. Just stay the course…

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

Also, if you’re a woman (can’t tell from your user name) get used to monthly fluctuations in weight from hormone changes.

Just weighed in this morning and up 2.4 pounds. With 4 days to go to my monthly visitor, I don’t bat an eyelash at this.

Thanks everyone for your kindness and helpfulness!

I’ll keep my pecans but maybe not eat quite so many as I ate yesterday.

I am female and at the end of my monthly visitor.

Thanks again.

(Aimee Moisa) #8

I have noticed over the years of trying to start keto over and over that the first period I get after starting keto makes my weight go up and my ketostix go pale. After the period things go back in the right direction.

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #9

I wouldn’t sweat the 1.5 lbs either. My weight fluctuates by at least that from day to day anyway, but the general trend is down. Weight fluctuation is apparently an expected part of the keto WOE.

Thanks. It’s the time when I feel the worst! On all previous diets I have had to break them to get through and then I’m all doom and gloom and can’t re-start! but I got through this one with the need to cheat with the exception of the pecans!! I needed something sweet!

This week the impacts of the change in diet have been especially noticeable. Usually I get so exhausted and end up having to actually leave work to go home for a sleep. Ive not had that this month. In fact I’ve been full of energy and even managed to maintain my pretty heavy excercise routine.

Generally I feel great!!!

I can’t help stressing about the weight gain though. I’m convinced I actually crashed after the caramel yesterday. I read somewhere that for some people the taste of something sweet could cause the body to respond in the same way as if they’ve eaten sugar even if they haven’t and I’m wondering if this is what has happened to me.

In any case my pee sticks (sorry I quite enjoy doing them so am not throwing them out!) seem to be showing higher levels again which is pleasing.