Kidney doc visit

(Rick) #1

I just had a visit with my nephrologist today (kidney doc) and he was very pleased with my progress - I am up to 64% kidney function, up from 36% in December 2016. He also said my blood pressure was in much better shape, and lowered my one remaining BP med down to 1/3 of what it was (one year ago I was on seven different BP meds). He also said he didn’t need to see me for eight months (would have been a year but he wants to get me off of BP meds altogether). Parting words: “Keep up the great work, don’t change anything”.

I’ll TAKE IT!! Don’t doubt it, Keto is making a huge difference in my health, and I hope it is as well for everyone. :smile:

(Sarah ) #2

Great news. You’ll have created many a jealous renal patient.

(Roy D) #3

Way to go!! Keep Calm and Keto On (KCKO)!

(Candy Lind) #4

AMAZING numbers! I’m just curious, what number would constitute “renal failure?” What kind of symptoms have you “lost?”

(Rick) #5

Renal failure is when kidney function drops to 15% or below. Symptoms I have ‘lost’ - severe uncontrolled hypertension (I was at around 210/185 for several months), extreme fatigue, high uric acid/gout, high creatinine, trace protein in urine. All a thing of the past, thankfully. The nephrologist said to me after stone surgery if I continued on the (then) current trend I was soon going to be fitted for a dialysis port, placed on the kidney donation waiting list. So you might say keto has saved my life. Keto also got me from 10.5 HbA1C to 5.5. :smiley::sunglasses:

(Ron Mc Curley) #6

Great work, Rick

(Greg Alvarado ) #7

That’s amazing to hear! Just out of curiosity, did they measure kidney function through glomerular filtration rate? or through proteinuria? Either way, way to go!

(Bud Zimmerman) #8

As a fellow renal disease patient, congratulations. I was diagnosed with stage III renal disease after a very serious case of food poisoning put me in the hospital in renal failure. After only 1 month on keto, my nephrologist admitted that looking only at the current blood work and urine study, he wouldn’t be able to tell I have renal disease. My BP is down and I am currently being weened of one of my 3 BP meds. Keep it up and wishing you continued improvement!

(Jill Lothian) #9

Amazing work!

(Rick) #10

Measured by GFR.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Rick, you’re amazing! Congratulations on such a great improvement. Maybe the next visit to the nephrologist you’ll be near 100%! :bacon: :bacon:

(Rick) #12

That would be truly amazing!! I think I’ve pretty much maxed out, though - doc said he was surprised I got this much back. I will keto on and take whatever I can get!!

(KCKO, KCFO) #13

Doing a happy dance for ya. That is a terrific improvement. Always good when a med goes away.

(Rick) #14

Thanks! I so want to put medications in my rear view mirror. A year ago I was on 15, now I’m on 4. Nothing wrong with that!!

(David) #15

Excellent! Sounds like you may have enlightened another Doc. Hopefully, he will pass this on to others.

(Cheryl) #16

How does Keto lower uric acid levels considering everything we eat is on the “increases uric acid” info?
I have a freind that has kidney stones due to high uric acid levels. She is also insulin resistant and has hypothyroidism. I recommended low carb but told her I’d check on the forums for more info. What can you tell me or where can she go for more info?

(KCKO, KCFO) #17

The way to lower uric acid is to stay hydrated and mind your electrolytes.

I had higher than desired uric acid levels. and I found the root cause was not enough hydration. If you drink lots of water like I did, and then over do things like coffee and other diuretic foods, you can get dehydrated. Once I got myself in better balance, making sure I am always hydrated with electrolytes as well, they dropped into the normal range.

Getting her BS numbers down is a good start and being hydrated should help her further. The electrolytes are important, as is not overdoing the diuretic foods, because you can consume too much water, which causes another issues.