Kickstarter - Nise Wave sous vide

(Anderson Herzogenrath Da Costa) #1

Seems pretty cool:

Very cool. Video answered two major questions I had - what bags to use and the idea of meat sitting in room temperature water for 10 hours made no sense to me. The video explains that it brings the temp up to a safe temperature right away, then holds it as necessary to the final cooking time/doneness. Pretty slick.

I know that there are a lot of sous vide fans here. You’ve all researched the use plastic (or even silicone) and possible effects of leaching different chemical compounds into food? Nom Nom Paleo had a great article about health concerns in sous vide cooking and she cited a study that convinced her that it was ok to continue it with a particular kind of bag - but then her reasoning was pulled apart in the first comment by one of the authors of the study.

I didn’t read past that first comment so am not making any claims, just encouraging folks to look into it especially if they are cooking for children (whose small bodies and still-new endocrine systems are particularly sensitive to outside disrupters!). For me, plastic/silicone + time+ heat = not something I want near my family’s food on a regular basis.

ETA: Maybe it’s not ideal to have this post on the thread of what looks like a nice kickstarter (sorry, Anderson…). Moderators, feel free to move if you think it should be in another thread.

(Jacob Wagner) #5

Do you think this is worth waiting for? The Anova wi-fi is selling on Amazon for $140 and I can get it in 2 days.

–Jacob