Kettlebells and avocados

(What The Fast?!) #1

Hi all! I’ve been keto for a month now and honestly haven’t had a lot of victories. I’ve only lost a total of about 2 (yes TWO) lbs (so next time you want to complain about “only losing 10 lbs in a month,” try and remember how amazing that is…) and my usual keto reading is under 1.0, no matter how few carbs I eat - even with protein under 60g.

However!! Yesterday, I took a kettlebells class at my gym - one I have taken many many times. After a full 3 weeks off from the gym (due to a burn wound that was healing), I jumped back in.

I had a BPC and 1/4 of an avocado for breakfast and headed off to the gym. I figured I’d have to take breaks in class and planned to use lighter bells. To my surprise, I was up a whole bell (or two, for certain exercises)! Not only was I lifting heavier, my cardio/high intensity intervals were on point. The teacher high fived me. :slight_smile:

This last month of keto may not be giving me the results I expected, but it’s clear that something is happening inside my body, and NSV’s like this give me the signal that if I’m patient, I’ll see the results I’m hoping for. (:pray: I hope!)

(David Driver) #2

Weight isn’t necessarily a good indicator of what keto is doing to your body. I have been stalled for months but I am physically stronger and I have more endurance.

(David Driver) #3

But good for you. I have kettlebells and they are the only weights I lift. I wish there was a place that had kettlebell classes that wasn’t all about crossfit or die. I really don’t dig crossfit.

(James storie) #4

I understand that, but oddly enough, crossfit is the reason I found keto! I was doing research on crossfit and paleo when I watched a video by Gary taubes at a crossfit conference. That lead me down a completely different path!

(What The Fast?!) #5

I love crossfit, but I switched to a studio that offers yoga, Pilates, barre, boot camp, kettlebells, TRX, and cycling. It’s nice to have options. :slight_smile:

(James storie) #6

I like the idea of doing crossfit, I don’t have the time or money! But I’m glad I was doing research! Keto is much easier than crossfit! :joy:

From a physical point of view, this story aligns with the concept of building stronger muscles/tissues, that endure harder training, would put weight on your body, which cancels any weight loss of fat. So, you can actually be the same weight, but less %fat. So, your story makes sense that this could happen.

(What The Fast?!) #8

Thanks for the encouragement. :slight_smile: It’s so interesting how we don’t need gobs and gobs of protein to build muscle, as previaoult thought.

Yeah…isn’t it amazing how smart our bodies are? Feed them the right building materials, and they do the right job building our bodies and restoring health.

(What The Fast?!) #10

Do you have any insight on how our body builds muscle when we’re not doing strength training? It’s so interesting to me that I had this change while taking a full 3 weeks off the gym altogether.

What I noticed about me is that I experience autophagy, followed by re-building tissue. As part of the fast-feast cycle.

Since I eat keto when I’m not fasting, I build tissue with very healthy building materials for the food I eat.

(What The Fast?!) #12

Thanks. :slight_smile: I haven’t done much fasting yet but definitey going longer between meals. That makes sense. :slight_smile:

going longer between meals provides intermittent fasting benefits. That’s what is great with keto or fat adapted eating. With less snacking between meals, or less meals in the day, there will be less insulinogenic activity. So, your body builds tissue, as opposed to dealing with insulin being provoked and playing with your blood glucose levels, leading to fat storage.

Reading this, I wonder if your measly two pounds is because you’ve gained muscle, which is fabulous!