Ketotarian (Pesco-Keto-Veggie)

fish

(Rindaloo) #1

Hi all, I have been away for SO long. But I am back now and following a more plant based version of Keto with fish included. It began as straight Pescatarianism (with some chicken), but the carbs were high and so now I have a book called “Ketotarian” By Will Cole, which is exactly what I am aiming for and I feel upbeat about it. I have compiled my shopping list and the diet will go live next week. I wondered if anyone else here has tried Keto-Pescatarianism or Ketotarianism? Any ‘buddies’ out there :smiley:

Hi @Rindaloo & welcome home :smile:

I was pescatarian keto for a while (maybe 6 months?) as I was reversing out of 30 years of vegetarianism. If I liked seafood more then I could easily have met my nutritional needs & my goals but sadly I only eat it 'cause it’s good for me! Will you be eschewing eggs & dairy?

(Rindaloo) #3

Hi safi, I love fish so thats not a problem. No, I wont be eschewing them, :slight_smile: I will be having cheese and eggs. While you were eating some fish but maybe not enough, did you suffer health problems or did the call of the meat get too much for you…?

I didn’t suffer any real health problems but I suspect I was developing an intolerance to tofu (couldn’t stomach enough fish to dump it as a protein source) so once I let that go I decided to embrace all the meats & see how I felt. Turns out I felt freaking amazing so the rest is history.

(Rindaloo) #5

Oh thats good. I am glad you found what suits you. x

(Allan Misner) #6

I interviewed Dr. Cole on my podcast and since that interview I’ve upped my fish and lowered my red meat. I’m not fully on board with pescatarian but I’m closer.

I also interviewed Liz MacDowell who is vegan keto (coming out soon). No way I could pull that off.

(Rindaloo) #7

No! I dont think I could either.

I’m on week 4 of my keto diet and I identify as pescatarian! I am wanting to convert to more plant based options as I get more accustomed to the diet, but we’ll see how feasible that is. Like Safi, I don’t really enjoy fish much, but I started including it in my diet because I kept hearing how good it is for you, ie DHA and also to make things more convenient to cook dinner for my boyfriend as he’s not a vegetarian.

I don’t know if I will stick to the Keto WOE. It started out fine, I made it through the keto flu and felt a boost of energy, but now I’m in a bit of a slump, the energy boost is gone and I feel like I don’t get much variety. Also these last two days I just wanted to eat a bunch! Hoping to make it at least 6 weeks to see if it gets better!

(Rindaloo) #9

Bearing in mind I don’t know if I am 100% right on this, but my thought is, if you cant stick with eating fish you are scuppered in your plan to do Pesco-Keto. So maybe you need to just eat the regular keto foods OR try a variety of fish, because you might discover some fish is delicious for you (or the way you cook it makes it enjoyable). I am suspecting MAYBE you aren’t getting enough protein.

Yea, it could be a combination of things. I tried to get by without tracking to see how well I could do but I think I failed miserably! I probably went over carbs by quite a bit, but I think I have an unhealthy relationship with food and I just want to eat everything and quickly as I can.

I need to start tracking again and eat things that are larger volumes I think, like a big salad with extra fatty dressing and blended iced coconut drinks.

(Rindaloo) #11

For tracking, I use Fatsecret, it can be set to track net carbs if you would prefer. :slight_smile:

Hello

I’ve been doing keto since Jan and I was and still am a pescatarian/veg. You most certainly can do this woe. I have found it’s helpful to get creative, and I still rely heavily on plant-based products such as Beyond Meat burgers and crumbles. I eat fish about 3x’s a week, including a bi-monthly treat of Japanese take out–I’ve worked with my nearby place to make hand rolls without rice : ) and the grilled ‘ika’ or calamari is superb with spicy mayo dressing. salads with sashimi yum (you can make your own dressing with sesame oil and a bit of rice vinegar.

I also eat a lot of eggs and cheese too, and almonds in moderation. For coffee, it’s with almond milk and a Tlb of hwc
cheers

(ANITA) #13

Thanks for the support, I will look into all the tips! And gosh darn it, I had a coupon for beyond meat but forgot to pick it up!h

*How strange, my profile is different on my phone vs my computer…

(Brian) #14

Those are on the very short list of fake meats that I will still eat on occasion without too much worry about the ingredients.

Most I just won’t touch. A few will make me very sick.

their burgers really good and they have a different consistency that is much more satisfying than regular veggie burgers (btw: so many veggie burgers are loaded with carbs. There is a Boca burger that has 0 -1 carbs, good in a pinch).

The Beyond Meat sausages (brouts) are also really good too, if you can find them. The demand for them is so high the factory is having difficulty keeping up with the demand.

Another thing I thought of too is poke bowls- just be careful with the add ons (fermented ginger is super high in carbs…) and the dressings. Get them on the side and ask for one’s that don’t have sugar in them or add your own. I usually get them with green onions, sesame seeds, cucumbers and avocado. so good and a real treat.

Some Safeways sell them now, yay, a lot cheaper than at Whole Foods

(Bunny) #17

Thought this might be helpful also for ketotarians!

Best Vegan Source of Vitamin B12: Dr. Berg talks about the best vegan source of B12. There are two types of B12: Pseudo B12 and actual real B12. Pseudo is basically “fake B12” also called B12 analog. For instance, if Nori has a larger amount of pseudo that is going to block the real B12 and cause deficiency. Instead of taking Nori or Spirulina, take Chlorella. To get a daily requirement of vitamin B12, take 6 tablets or 1 tsp twice per day.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #18

I was a pescatarian for a long time and when I committed to Keto I knew I had to eat meat, I too am not a huge fan of fish. I reintroduced chicken but haven’t done beef or pork yet as I am worried about my bodies response. If you don’t mind sharing Safi How did you reintroduce pork and beef? What was your bodies response? Did you do anything to help your body switch over?

I don’t mind sharing at all - I did a lot of googling before I made the change & found reading others stories very reassuring :slightly_smiling_face:

I decided to start red meat with a small burger as I figured pretty much everyone likes burgers right? In terms of taste/texture I was not a fan (I’d accidentally picked up low fat beef mince) & I maybe felt a bit squeamish but I think that was more of an emotional reaction than anything. I didn’t suffer any of the expected digestive impacts - possibly because I started small or possibly because I’d already eaten fish & chicken. Having not enjoyed the beef so much I decided to try a childhood favourite - lamb & I’m almost embarrassed to admit how much I enjoyed it!. Again, I had no weird side effects. I then tried beef again in the form of a nice fatty steak & found that I enjoyed the flavour a lot more & even better I got an energy boost unlike any other so beef was now on the menu. As to pork/bacon - I quite like pork & cook it now and again & I quite like bacon sprinkled through a salad or maybe with some eggs once a month but I’m not particularly wild about either.

In short - I started small, I like some red meats more than others, I feel well eating it & have no strange/unpleasant digestive health issues but will admit to the odd feeling of guilt. We Catholics tend to have a constant low level hum of guilt anyway so I’m riding it out :wink:

Hope this helps a little. There are loads of stories all over the interwebs so maybe a bit of googling will help you as it did me. Good luck @Iced .