Ketosis , weight loss surgery, "Newcastle diet"

(bulkbiker) #1

Not sure if this is the right place but I was prompted this morning to do some reading about dietary requirements pre bariatric surgery. I came across this advice from a major UK hospital

https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/nutrition-and-dietetics/reducing-the-size-of-your-liver-final.pdf

I was quite amazed to read at the end this statement…

“How will I feel while I am on this diet?
As your body responds to the diet it releases ketones, which are made when the body breaks down fat for energy. These are released in the breath, urine and sweat – sometimes causing odour. You may also experience other symptoms such as thirst, and a slightly metallic taste in the mouth. In addition, you may also find that your appetite is suppressed after the first 3 - 4 days, meaning that you feel much less hungry than you would have expected. Some people report feeling a little light-headed in the first few days. Just make sure you are sticking to the plan and drinking plenty – this will pass.”

Seems they are recommending that pre surgery patients are in ketosis.

Does this mean that Professor Roy Taylor and his 800 cal per day “Newcastle Diet” should instead be recommending fat fasts and getting into ketosis? Does this explain why Type 2 is reversed by surgery before significant weight loss… is it all down to being in ketosis?