Ketones

(@taliea) #1

Ok…day 2 is almost over. Down 3.4lbs which I kmow is water weight but I’ll take it. Also been checking my ketones on the pee sticks. And this morning it showed small traces and when I got home…bam. lol. It showed I had some.

Oh Joy…you just made @Brenda 's day with pee stick photo :laughing:

She really, really loves pee stick photos.

The more pee sticks, the happier she gets.

(@taliea) #3

Hahaha. Well I’ll have a ton. So I want to not change the color of the stick right? Since its day 2 it’s ok right? Since my body is adjusting

Yes, you are ok for now. But, don’t get too worried if the colour is not where you want it to be. Lots of other variables, like hydration, affects the colour and does not represent your true state of ketosis. Treat the pee sticks as a rough guideline, but not perfect measurement. As your body becomes more efficient at using the ketones you produce, you will see that the sticks may no longer show colour. So, it is possible to remain in ketosis, but your body burns up all the ketones before they report to your urine. Pee sticks usually only work at the beginning of your ketosis journey, and then they are no longer capable of measuring ketones. That’s why people use blood testers or breathalyzers instead.

But, for now…you are good.

Keep calm and keto on.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #5

Cut the strips in half longways down the middle and you’ll have twice as many to test with!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #6

You are SO dead @Fiorella

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #7

Post any more pissed on sticks and you are a dead woman.

First rule of keto club:
NO photos of pee sticks EVER!!

SMDH I thought I left pee sticks on :nofb:

FML no. Just no.

(eat more) #8

:joy:

(@taliea) #9

Sorry

What? There’s a keto rule book? :thinking:

I thought it was burned down in the Viking ship, together with all of the Facebook pee sticks.

(@taliea) #11

I deleted the picture

Oh no…why delete???.. :cry::disappointed:

(@taliea) #13

I thought I did something wrong. I’m new so i don’t wear to offend

(@taliea) #14

And someone else on ketoninjas fb made it seem like I wasn’t supposed too either so I deleted that post.

Nah…don’t worry about Brenda. She just gets cranky sometimes… (teeheeheehee :smirk: :wink:)

here…I’ve got your back Tinky…I will find a pee stick photo on Google…

ok here it is…

Ok…I’m not deleting this photo…

Go ahead Tinky, put yours back up…

Brenda is just kidding…stick around and you will start to get her humor…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #16

Yep. Put it back up.
I’ll give you one free pass.
But that’s the last one you’re allowed @Tinkykittyt1 Lol

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #17

@Tinkykittyt1
The pee stick thing is an ongoing keto group point of funniness. After you’ve been around a few years you’ll see what I mean. I used to be in groups where I saw literally hundreds of peed-on sticks. We had to ask people to stop putting up photos of them.
It was always new people so we would tease them. In a nice way.
It’d be like “Oh lord, another peed-on stick today, lol”.

Part of it is what @Fiorella said, ketone test strips have their place where useful in the VERY beginning of becoming keto-adapted, but showing us it’s color is unnecessary. The color “shade” means nothing, only that if there is any color at all you’re making ketones. And as @Fiorella said, that color indicator may not be there after you’ve been in ketosis a few weeks. Very unreliable.
I discourage people from using urine ketone strips. They were actually made for Type 1 diabetics to monitor for ketoacidosis.
Here’s an article that may help. Yes, I was joking with you. If you do anything really wrong, you’ll get a private message from me. Lol
I’m harmless, I swear. And you’re fine.

(@taliea) #18

lol.

(Jessica) #19

Between Keto groups and Pregnancy groups…so.many.peed-on.sticks.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #20