Ketones rise and then fall on 2 day fast

(Karen Black) #1

I just did a 2 day fast wth ketones starting at 1.7. At 24 hours into the fast my ketones were at 2.0. At 40 hours my ketones were at 3.1. At 44 hours I had 16 oz of hot matcha tea, no sweetner, 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar and a 1/2 tsp of lemon juice. Then at 48 hours my ketones read as Lo on my Keto Mojo. My blood glucose was 88. Any ideas why my ketones dropped off?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

No idea, sorry.

That’s quite a drop. Normally, is suggest an immediate retest. You might also want to repeat the fast and testing work the same conditions (tea)

(Karen Black) #3

Good idea. I have since eaten and retested 4 hours after eating… I am currently at 1.6 ketone level. Not sure I’ll redo the 48 hour fast this weekend.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

Ketones are in constant flux. Measure hourly for a day. Check out this guy’s ketones over the course of a couple days.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #5

Yeah, but I’m not sure if they should have stopped that much from the tea. But, a good practice is to test before eating or drinking anything, other than water or unsweetened (straight) tea.