Ketones low

Hi, I began recently incorporating Keto into my carnivore diet slowly and I noticed I barely produce any ketones on my test strip. I’ve been on carnivore mainly diet for almost two months and again just recently started to incorporate a few Keto foods into it so I can enjoy food a little lol. Anyway I hear everyone say ignore the test strips but I admit…I still use them to check to make sure I’m still in ketosis. So I am wondering when someone begins to become fat adapted do their keystone levels drop because now their body is using them? Before I began eating some Keto foods I was always in the high area probably about a month ago but I also wasn’t fat adapted at that time I’m assuming too. I don’t really count carbs because I rarely eat Keto anyways so I’m not to concerned going over and being knocked out of ketosis. I suppose I am having what I call carnivore “cheat days” where I eat some Keto foods. What if anything could these test results indicate from my keytones dropping recently. Fat adaption? Eating more carbs? Does it mean nothing at all?
Thanks

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #2

Step away from the strips :slightly_smiling_face: seriously, they’re useless (I bet you knew you’d get that response :wink:)

(Robert C) #3

After a while the strips are not going to tell you anything.
Initially they’re great because the indicate you are producing ketones.
But, the body will adapt and become efficient at producing just about the amount of ketones it needs - leaving none to go to the strip.

At this stage, blood ketone testing and watching for trends is about the only thing that is helpful.

(Allie) #4

The reason so many of us say not to use them is because they are unreliable and do not show you when you’re in ketosis. Bin them and judge by how you feel. Chances are after these months you’re adapted which is likely why the strips aren’t showing anything.

(Bunny) #5

I always payed more attention to blood sugars using several different glucose meters (two readings if the first two readings are <0.5 mmol apart, or three readings if they are over 0.5 mmol apart to get an average) and take a peek at blood ketones (with a meter) every once in a while and to see how low my glucose is (or can go) without feeling hypoglycemic[1] (or ill at all).

Notes:

[1] “…But my blood sugar levels are typically between 3 and 3.9 mmol/L, which translates into 50 to … or sorry 54 to 70 mg/dL. So, that 65 to 99 mg/dL is considered to be normal by government standards here in Canada, the 54 to 70 is considered to be common amongst ketogenic population. A lot of my patients too, who follow ketogenic diet, they’re getting sugars between 3 and 3.9 or between 54 and 70. What does it mean? What is normal? What is acceptable for someone who’s keto adapted? We’re still learning. I usually gauge how my body’s feeling at a certain blood sugar level. I let that determine whether or not it’s normal for me. Hypoglycemia is not defined as a set of numbers. It’s defined as a set of symptoms, so dizziness, mental fatigue, shaking, palms sweaty, hands. That defines hypoglycemia. It’s a list of symptoms. For me, I was doing 24-hour fast at the time and I started to feel woozy, so I scaled back to 18 hours and I was really strict with my eating windows and then I started to feel fantastic. Then one day, I said, “I’m feeling so good. My sugar stayed nice stable. My ketones have stayed nice and stable. I’m going to see how long I can go for,” and then I surpassed the 24 hour mark. - Megan Ramos