Ketones dropped 🤷🏼‍♀️

(Ruth Dickson) #1

Hi there, I’ve been fasting a while now but recently started blood testing my ketones. I’m currently 27hrs into a fast. At 7pm my ketones we’re 1.5 and at 11:30pm they had dropped to 0.5. Any ideas why this can happen when I’ve not consumed any calories?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

PS: Maybe you’re using them.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Ketone levels are highly volatile throughout the day. I wouldn’t worry. The primary goal of a ketogenic diet combined with fasting is metabolic health. Ketone levels can serve as one of the markers of metabolic health, but should not be chased for their own sake.

(Allie) #5

Ketones are a source of fuel for your body, the same as gas is a form of fuel for your car, so they cannot just sit in your blood unused.

You’re burning them as fuel faster than you’re creating them from fat. Easiest way to deal with blood ketone levels is to forget they exist and stop testing them. Waste of money unless you have a medical condition that requires them to be high all the time. Plus, being only 1 day much of that was sleeping meaning very little activity for a chunk of it, can’t expect much. When I used to fast I did week long ones and my ketone levels were very rarely impressive. You’re ketone levels aren’t connected to fat loss speed, so no point really. If you’re fasting or eating as long as you’re doing everything right don’t worry about it.

(Pam ) #7

Thank you for posting this article @amwassil what a great read! It was the “chill pill” I needed!