Ketone testing? How and why?

(Alexander) #1

Hi everybody, I’m new to the forums but have been catching up on the podcasts since last December, 2017. I started keto in August of 2017 and lost about 30 pounds (I was quite heavy and sedentary before embarking), and love all of the resources here.

I was curious if anyone tests for their ketone and how specifically you do it. Like what kind of meter you use or breath vs blood vs dip sticks for testing, and even if it’s necessary. I don’t do exogenous ketones, because I’ve had great results so far not using them, but I’m not sold on how important it is to buy a tester. Currently I don’t test.

Thanks for any response, even if it’s a link to another post.

(Allie) #2

No need to test if you’re getting results you want, besides ketone numbers don’t really have any bearing on how much fat you’re actually burning. Talking of burning, exogenous ketones are good at burning… yeah, burning holes in your wallet :joy:

(Renee Slaughter) #3

Hi Alex
Welcome to the forums. I’m a 57 years young diabetic who needs data. So I purchased a Nova Max tester from Amazon. I just like to see where I am when fasting. Don’t test every day. More like once a week. Wasn’t sure about the process. Now that I’m further along on my journey, I will likely not keep testing. Welcome to Keto.

Let me state at the outset that you don’t need to test. That said, I can tell you about my experiences with three products.

Ketonix Bluetooth Breath Analyzer: This was the first ketone testing gadget that I purchased. It does work, but I have trouble getting consistent readings with it - and, yes, I do know that I need to fully exhale as much as possible since the acetone concentration is most concentrated as you expel the last bit of air from your lungs. (Four consecutive tests performed just now: 2.8, 4.3, 5.2, 4.7 - all in PPM.) Mine also seems to take a long time to warm up; it takes from five to fifteen minutes for the warm up indicator to stop flashing. When I first purchased it, I did find it useful, however, since it let me know when I finally was in ketosis. The one major advantage that it has over testing blood is that it’s a one time, fixed cost. That really appealed to me and if it weren’t for the long warm up time and inconsistent readings, I might not have gone on to testing my blood.

Precision Xtra Blood Glucose & Ketone Monitoring System: This tests, via separate test strips, both blood glucose and ketones. Ketone strips cost a bit over $1.50 per strip. Glucose strips cost $0.69 per strip. (Prices for both checked on Amazon as I was writing this.) Glucose measuring results are inconsistent; on one occasion, I did three glucose tests (w/ same meter) in a row. I got: 83, 97, 89. I haven’t yet performed back-to-back tests with the (more expensive) ketone strips.

Keto Mojo: This also measures blood glucose and blood ketones via separate test strips. Ketone strips cost about $1 per strip. Glucose strips cost about $0.30 per strip. Back-to-back testing using four glucose strips w/ one drop of blood yielded: 97, 92, 97, 100. This appears to be somewhat better than the Precision Xtra, but not as good as the Bayer Contour Next (which only measures blood glucose). When I’ve performed back-to-back tests with the Contour Next, the readings are nearly always the same from one test to the next. Back-to-back ketone readings with the keto mojo using same drop of blood were 2.0, 1.2, 1.2, 1.4. This is more variability than I’d like, but from what I’ve seen with the back-to-back glucose testing, I doubt that the Precision Xtra is any better.

Due to the cost of the test strips, I’m doing most of my testing now with the Keto Mojo.

As for why I test… it’s mainly curiosity - I want to know when I’m in ketosis and whether I’m staying in ketosis. Around the holidays my wife made me some supposedly keto friendly dessert. I had several days of readings where my keto mojo either gave me readings of less than 0.5 or “Lo”, so that dessert probably wasn’t as keto friendly as we thought. Also, on days when I know that I’ve kept my carb intake low, but still get a low reading, well, that was probably due to consuming too much protein.

I’ve also checked my glucose and ketone levels at various times of the day and before and after exercise. Ketone levels are often increased after a long exercise session, but not always. (Though, due to the variability of the readings, it’s hard to be sure.)

Hope you find this helpful…

(Stan Brooks) #5

When I first got stated I grab some of the keto urine strips to get a general idea. As most will say it just shows what you are spilling not using but it is nice to see starting out that you are producing the ketones.

(Alexander) #6

Thank you for the response. I’ll definitely look into the Keto Mojo, I hadn’t seen that one before. Thanks.

(Roy D) #7

Welcome Alexander.

• I test my blood ketones with a Precision Xtra meter
  • I don’t think that ketones is necessary for a successful keto diet
  • My belief is that consuming exogenous ketones is of little/no benefit for weight loss on a ketogenic diet, but has potential benefits for various mental conditions (i.e. Alzheimer’s and epilepsy)

The main benefit I found testing for ketones is to obtain quantitive feedback on my eating/exercise habits. When I get low ketone measurements I know to review my past diet to see what is causing the low levels. From this, I’ve found that I was consuming foods with “hidden carbs” and overeating habits (aka eating too many calories) that have stopped my ketosis. It has also helped with my diet when my eating habits have “drifted” away from a strict keto diet.

The Keto Mojo meter has become available after I had purchased my Precision Xtra. As stated in other posts, keto strips for the Precision Xtra are more expensive, but I’m hesitant to switch because I have not built up a sufficient level of confidence in the accuracy/repeatability of other meters as of yet. I measure on a daily basis, and measure just after I wake up for the day prior to consuming any food or drink. (I’ve read that Keto levels in the body vary during the day, and although keto levels may be the lowest in the mornings my thought is to measure at this time of day will give the most consistent measurements over time.)

I believe the urine strips may be good when first starting on a keto diet, but I had readings that were consistently low after a few weeks. I’ve read where ketone levels in the urine may naturally decrease over time, due to the body using ketones more efficiently over time, but am unsure of this.

(Dan Dan) #8

You can try a Cheap Breathalyzer I think it would work better for your purpose :thinking:

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

I have only used the cheap keto urine strips and only when getting started. I think this was more for encouragement that I needed in order to see that I was moving in the right direction. Once I saw color on the strips I knew I was headed in the right direction.

Agreed - most of this lifestyle is understanding the nutrients within foods and deciding to eat those foods or not. So many benefits from the lifestyle of Keto and also from Fasting.

Enjoy the adventure.

There are tremendous resources here within the forum to help define the path and how to change it up, as your body will continuously adapt.

(Alexander) #11

Agreed, I’ve been having a blast just reading through these discussions. There’s a lot of great insights and help here. Thanks for your reply.

I am new to Keto also. I am a person who needs input. I enjoy learning and discovering.
I have been Paleo for a few years. Strict gluten free for 6 years.
Ketogenic for 2 months with many mistakes. Stricter keto diet for 10 days.
I am more tuned in now to the specifics of the nutritional aspects of keto.
I have been using Cronometer to track my fat/protein/carbohydrate intake of macronutrients (macros) as well as micronutrients (micros).
Since using Cronometer I was able to see where my mistakes were and make adjustments.
(I discovered I was overdoing it on raw nuts.)
I’ve also been able to ensure my nutrient content was optimal - not just my fat % and macros.
I am doing Keto to support my immune system and prevent further decline.
Currently I eat less than my total calorie allotment for the day → to burn stored white fat.
I will continue to do this until my weight and body fat % are ideal.
I’ve lost visceral fat which is a plus for my liver and detox function too!
I do intermittent fasting → I eat solid food between 2 pm & 6 - 7 pm.
I do drink decaf coffee in the morning, and bone broth during the day along with pure water and herbal tea.
The only carbs I eat are in green vegetables at this point, organic raw nuts, and a plain yogurt I make from raw organic milk.

I purchased 2 breathalizers after reading the lengthy thread that Dan mentioned above.
My first reading on a GREENWON keychain BAC (breathalyzer) tonight was 0.02%.
I will use the BAC to follow trends, and to adjust my diet & activity.
I am encouraged. Learning more everyday.
Welcome!

Like @Kevin, I have a Ketonix, Xtra, and Mojo. His experience has been similar to mine. I suggest getting a Mojo and a separate glucose meter that uses inexpensive strips, if cost is a concern.

If one of the reasons for adapting this diet is to improve metabolic derangement, I think a glucometer is essential. It’s the simplest, easiest way to measure progress: is fasting BG decreasing, is postprandial response improving? A glucometer is also useful for dialing in your diet. Or troubleshooting problems like stalls.

If your reason for adhering to a HFLC diet is to address neuro degenerative, autoimmune, cancer, psychiatric or other conditions that are improved by being in the physiological state of ketosis, then a blood ketone meter is essential.

I test my ketones and glucose daily (at a minimum). I’m not diabetic, but I’m results oriented, so I like data, and numbers are motivational for me. YMMV. If data makes you anxious, or you prefer a laid back approach, meters may not be helpful.

(Jenn of RVA/ESVA) #14

Thanks for taking the time to provide this thorough overview!

(Akhilesh Tumram) #15

thanks for the response, definitely I will definitely look into the Keto Mojo.
thank you.
Degreaser

(charlie3) #16

I measure things but not ketones. For food I have measuring cups and spoons, and a digital kitchen scale. For exercise i have a chest heart rate monitor. A Fitbit watch I was given for Christmas tracks sleep. I use an Omron BP meter. Lifting, cardio, waking, BP and food are recorded in various android apps, Strong, Sportractive, Step Counter - Pedometer Free, and Cronometer,
and an app for the Omron BP.

I started with the urine strips but now I use the Keto Mojo. I love how you can download the app and import all your readings to easily track.

(Akhilesh Tumram) #18

I will definitely look into the Keto Mojo.
okay

(Veronica C) #19

Hello I can answer any questions you may have about the Keto Mojo meter, I can also send you a link for a 15% discount off a meter purchase (only one discount per order and no discount on strip purchases) if you would like - let me know!