Ketone Levels and Extended Fasting

(Victoria Mc Coy) #21

I’m interested in learning more about the relationships between ketone & BG measures, GKI and weight loss and lipolysis. Can you suggest any reading material I can access on the subject? I haven’t found a lot.

I haven’t found much online about GKI. You’ve probably seen these, but just in case.

https://www.headsuphealth.com/blog/features/tracking-glucose-ketone-index/

https://idmprogram.com/fasting-and-lipolysis-part-4/

(Victoria Mc Coy) #23

Yep - I have seen these, but appreciate the assist, nevertheless!

(Tony ) #24

Im on day 3 of a 5 day fast. My ketones are already at 5mmol. Thought that was bit quick, didn’t expect that until least day 5. getting paranoid about it for sure.

I am on day 5 of a 5 day water fast. Tested Ketones every day… Day 1: .5, Day 2 already 5.4, Day 3 6.4 Day 4 7.7!!! and Day 5 (today) back down to 5.4 I"m guessing Im using some of those ketones up on day 5 day that’s why they are lower. Don’t worry about high keones on a water fast. It’s just your body really really going into ketone production to make sure your brain can still control your breathing, lungs, heartbeat, mental capacity, etc. I feel fine! Yes it’s been a tough 5 days with extra resting and restless sleep. But I’m super proud. Lost 10 pounds and feel great. I can’t wati to eat in a couple hours! Just gonna break it with a low carb meal of miso soup and some roasted low carb veggies and a celery root soup. Probably won’t eat too much but am breaking with friends so they will eat more!

(Tovan Nhsh) #26

If I remember correctly my highest reading during a fast was a bit over 7 mmol. So long as you are feeling good I would not be overly concerned.

(Cat Owens) #27

I am currently at the 48 hour mark going to 72 with glucose of 60 and ketones of 4.7. I was a little concerned about the blood sugar but am going with how I feel.

(Jo-Anne ) #28

Your right in range…it’s not a worry until it reaches 10 or higher

People have been fasting for THOUSANDS of years - the difference now is we have ketone meters to encourage or else scare the hell out of us. :wink:

(Oliver) #30

I’ve just completed a five day water fast and have strange readings, was hoping some of you could help me understand them:
Day 1 Ketones 0.1 Glucose 5
Day 2 K 0.7 in morning and 1.5 afternoon G 4.5
Day 3 K 2.2 morning and 3.1 afternoon G 3.9
Day 4 K 2.8 in morning and 2.5 afternoon G 4.1
Day 5 K 2.2 in the morning and 2.3 afternoon G 4.2

What is going on with my ketones?? I haven’t had anything but water but my ketones refuse to go past 3. Blood sugar is stable at around 4. Is my body eating the muscles rather fat at day 4 onwards? I’ve felt shit the entire time… and it’s meant to feel good? Please help!