Ketone levels all over post fast

(Marci) #1

Hello. I just celebrated by 1 year keto anniversary by fasting for 62 hours. (Crazy celebration in a crazy time, I know!) Prior to beginning the fast I was not in ketosis but had been for most of the prior 10 months. My ketones read .7 at 48 hours and 1.2 at 60 hours. I then went for a 30 minute run and broke my fast. I went to bed with a ketone level .2 and woke up this morning with .4. During the day I tracked my macros with an app which indicated I was consuming 72% fat, 28% protein and 9 total carbs. While not super experienced at this, I don’t feel like I’m in a state of ketosis, confirming the readings. Why the low readings? Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

maybe you are burning the ketones for energy?

(Marci) #3

I agree that I used ketone for energy during the exercise but wonder why there isn’t a better/faster bounce-back after breaking the fast during the refeeding stage. I don’t think it is what I ate as it was high fat, moderate protein and very low carb.

Ketone’s are ALWAYS all over the place. Best thing to do is just eat right and stop wasting your money on the strips. Use that money for steak or something. Unless you’re trying to manage a medical condition that’s helped with high ketones there’s really no point. If you’re not eating enough carbs to power yourself with them, and you’re not dead… It’s because you’re in ketosis. Your ketone level isn’t tied to weight loss so what’s the point?