Ketone level in urine strip

(David) #1

High everyone been doing intermittent fasting for 3 weeks with low carb and I done a Irvine test and it came out on 8 80 +++ is this bad?

Are you a type 1 diabetic?

(David) #3

No I had blood tests about a month ago and everything was normal just low potassium

You’re probably a bit dehydrated then. Are you keeping up your sodium intake?

(David) #5

I’ve been eating more salt and vegetables, do you think that level is dangerous?

I’m not a doctor but the urine strips are notoriously unreliable. Try drinking some water & check again in a while.

Include some of this in your diet

And have a read of this

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/juices-non-juice-journal-jottings/61706/785

(David) #7

Shall I go hospital?

(mole person) #8

As has been said above, urine strips are very unreliable and vary markedly based on hydration levels. I tested yesterday after two large cups of coffee and got a trace results, and then tested an hour later and got a result of 6 mmol.

Do you feel very unwell?

(David) #10

I just feel tired, tested again just now and it says 1.5

Well that sounds reasonable. Read up on the reliability of urine sticks and the difference between ketosis & ketoacidosis.

(David) #12

Would my ph be high if I had ketoacid?

Read this.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #14

As Juice says, the pee strips are a scam. They are highly unreliable. If you don’t have T1DM, cancer, epilepsy, or some other reason to be in therapeutic ketosis, you are better off not peeing on another stick, ever.