Ketone + glucose meter

(Norma Laming) #1

I’m not diabetic but I have to be careful. I really want to track glucose to learn how I deal with different foods and I want to test for ketones to find out what’s going on with those. I’ve been eating low carb for too long for keyostix to be of any use and I want to be able to track long term anyway. So a meter it has to be. I like the Keto Mojo deals online but I gather that the will be stonking import duty to pay. That leaves me with Abbott and their various meters, I’m utterly bewildered by their website. They seem very strict about saying you have to have a prescription, which seems odd for a company that presumably want to make money. I am not at the stage of qualifying for one through the NHS and of course that is exactly why I want a meter now. Also I’m very curious about how my body behaves.

Any ideas? I’m very serious about this and I know that the strips are expensive but I cannot work out what to do and where to buy from. Almost every podcast I hear has people merrily testing away but I can’t even get off the ground!

This is the meter I’ve been using for over three years, I don’t get anything via the NHS but the expense is worth it for testing once a week, for me at least.

The ketone strips:

The blood glucose strips:

The lancing device (to prick your finger):

The lancets:

Hope this helps.

(Norma Laming) #3

Thank you. From the websites that I’ve read, including diet doctor, the 2 that I mentioned seem to come out best for accuracy. But I will continue to look and I’ve certainly come across references to others. The strips are so expensive that I want to be sure before I buy

(bulkbiker) #4

I use 2 meters the Tee2 for blood glucose and the on call GK Dual for ketones.
Strips for the Tee2 are £7.75 for 50 so far cheaper than the On Call BG strips.

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/tee2

VAT free if you have been diagnosed with diabetes.
If you phone spirit healthcare and order some strips they will usually throw in the meter for free.

(Norma Laming) #5

Thanks. I haven’t been diagnosed with diabetes and I want to keep it that way. I have autoimmune problems and inherited tendencies that predispose me to insulin resistance but I’m also very curious about how my body handles foods. The meters certainly are much cheaper than the strips. Atm I’m looking over the GlucoRX HCT meter. I appreciate your thoughts

(bulkbiker) #6

The strips are where the costs lie so just look for a meter with the cheapest strips.
Most suppliers will throw in the meter for free because once they have you hooked…

(Norma Laming) #7

Well I’ll remember no up Valuemed and see if they’ll let me have the dual meter. I don’t mind getting a whole load of strips from them. Do you use the calibration fluid, too?

(bulkbiker) #8

nope never bothered… seems to work straight out of the box.

And I only change lancets every so often so don’t get too many…!

(Norma Laming) #9

Thanks I’ll definitely contact them it’s really helpful to hear from someone already using one

(bulkbiker) #10

I’ve never contacted Valumed but that offer is the cheapest way to get a ketone meter that I’ve found here in the UK.
Spirit Healthcare I have always found very helpful by phone although their website sometimes leaves a bit to be desired!

(Allie) #11

This is the best seller for test strips, I use this too.

(Alex ) #12

@Shortstuff

new and used options!?!? now this is one second hand bargain I’d definitely be avoiding!

(Allie) #13

The listing is for 50 brand new ketone strips and 50 brand new glucose strips for £52.00

(Alex ) #14

…and also says, find many new and used options

(Allie) #15

Standard blurb from the seller’s other listings

(Joey) #16

Those gently used test strips might provide an especially frugal option :wink:

(Al) #17

This is a keto mojo but rebranded . I have it and it works well however 10 strips £15.95