Ketone bodies mimic the life span extending properties of caloric restriction

(Todd Allen) #1

Eat fat, live longer?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/iub.1627/full

I realize that this paper was on ketosis…but, my favourite statement was this:

“Telomeres are lengthened by starvation [66] and shortened by ROS damage”

Which highlights the benefits of fasting.

(Jo Lo) #3

That may be, but Dr Rhonda Patrick doesn’t mention fasting in her list:
The “Vitamin D Sweet Spot” and Its Relationship To Aging

Factors that hasten telomere shortening:

Chronic stress
Alcohol
Smoking
Inflammation
Obesity
Oxidative Stress

Factors that extend telomere length:

Vitamin D sufficiency
Omega-3 sufficiency
Folic acid sufficiency
Meditaton
Exercise

That was from 2013. She’d put it on the list now:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #5

Fascinating read (though there’s plenty I couldn’t fully follow, since I lack the requisite background).

Agreed that the info on telomeres was very interesting, as was the idea that BHRB can directly act to lower glucose and insulin.

While I don’t think it necessarily follows that ingesting ketone bodies (exogenous ketones) would fully provide the same benefits as fasting, it does suggest that there might be some benefit to them after all, at least in terms of lifespan extension.

Will be interesting to see where the science goes from here…

(Jennifer) #6

I’m wondering if they might help a little during fasting. especially for those that are struggling to get their bodies burning fat. Kind of a crutch until their bodies catch up.

(Jo Lo) #7

But Ah, she mentions how body fat controls the bioavailability of Vitamin D, which affects telomere length. So Vit. D is locked up in body fat and can’t be used in many cases. Perhaps it’s released upon fasting and fat adaptation?

(Todd Allen) #8

Maybe exogenous ketones are of help to those who are very severely insulin resistant type 2 diabetics that otherwise would struggle to fat adapt due to chronically high glucose and insulin.