Ketoing for over a month, still confused

newbies

(What The Fast?!) #21

Haha, try being a woman with 50kg of lean body mass… I can accidentally inhale 50g of protein by looking in the fridge too long. :wink: JK, you do get used to not making protein the star of the meal. Now fat is the main attraction.

(James storie) #22

I use it to make mayonnaise.

(Tim W) #23

We use it like olive oil, eggs, salad, in a smoothie etc. It has a different flavor profile and can be a nice break from olive oil.

Make mayo or vinaigrette

(Jeremy Storie) #25

It makes the best mayonnaise

(Dustin Cade) #26

Yes I’m curious what dirty keto is… Is that similar to lazy keto?

Ya, the protein rec’s are still debatable. You may do quite well even in to the upper 100s.

(Jason) #28

Yes what is dirty keto?

(Jason) #29

I like the idea of making mayonnaise with avocado oil. Anyone have a recipe? Recent saw what oil was in Hellmans (my favorite) and was disappointed but I guess not surprised.

(Jason) #30

What is n=1 testing?

Excellent question, @MisterSniff.

n=1 refers to a testing sample size of 1. So, for example, if you were to run a test on 50 people, it would be n=50. So, to that end, n=1 means you are the one and only test subject.

The idea here is that the “average” test result does not apply to everyone. So, if you do a test on what is the most favourite ice cream flavour, using n=50, you may discover 96% of the test subjects preferred chocolate and only 4% like vanilla. Does that guarantee your favorite is chocolate? No. So, you do a n=1 test, and then determine what works for you.

Hope this helps.

(Jason) #32

Thanks for all the help. I am trying to get my fats more in line with the macro ratios. I’m still going over my limit on calories. I’ve also been doing some 5:2 style IF the whole time.

Does everyone track their food? I want this to be a lifestyle and not a “diet” and tracking food makes it feel like the latter.

The scale had kind of stalled but got a good reading this morning so I guess if I don’t care how fast I lose if this is gonna be a lifestyle. If i stall I know I could always start tracking again or do an extended fast to mix it up.

(Jeremy Storie) #33

2 cups avocado oil
2 eggs
1 tsp spicy brown mustard
1 tsp salt
2 T white vinegar

I put a tsp of dill in mine a lot. It’s great with fish or in egg salad.

Scientifically speaking my n=1 in regards to ice cream is cookies ‘n’ cream.

As far as “dirty keto” goes, i always thought it was that the majority of your food does not come from whole food sources. So keto mcdouble burgers, fat bombs, artificial sweetenersSo the macros are there but not nutritiently dense. To some, dairy is not “clean keto”, scufffle hold me back! I mostly get food from whole sources but i have a week here or there eating other food, still keto but sorta bootleg.

I’m not familiar with “dirty keto”, and I don’t subscribe to “food rules” either. Some people can do sweet fat bombs and Torani syrup in coffee, while others cannot. I am one of those who can’t. This is where n=1 is needed. First start with the basic starters template, and then use n=1 to fine tune customization. Don’t go adopting other people’s “rules”, as that’s a huge gamble with probabilities and waste of time when in error.

(Mike W.) #36

You have no limit on calories. Only carbs and protein. Eat all the fat you want.

(James storie) #37

I don’t track at all anymore, unless I’m creating a new recipe. Then I’ll enter it into my fitness pal to see what the breakdown is to make sure it is keto. I used to track, but that feels like too much work. I never worry about calories at all, that will get you into trouble. This WOE works so much better if you don’t restrict calories. Simply watch your carbs, don’t let the protein run away from you and eat as much fat as it takes to feel full. If you are still hungry, or you get hungry too soon, you didn’t eat enough fat! After eating this way for a while it becomes second nature.

I haven’t seen “Wired To Eat” mentioned on here very much but the 7 days carb test in the book could be really helpful to people trying to find their carb tolerance. The author reacts to bananas more than cookies. Everyone is different but even deeper, the same person can have their tolerances change with various factors so just find what works for you now. Keep testing but keep it fun and realize that you way healthy than you were before, so don’t stress.

(James storie) #39

I have to be carefull with carbs on a regular basis, if I have something carby every once in a while I’m ok. But if there is any regularly to it, it screws me up. Has any body heard of the alt shift diet? Yep, screwed me up. It may work for insulin sensitive people, but for those of us with damage it is a no-go! I do just fine on keto. Other than leaning more and more carnivorous, I will not be eating any other way!

That is not true for everyone.