Ketogenic Sabotage

(Camille ) #1

I’ve been ketogenic since January 7, 2016 and my parents were 100% supportive of my lifestyle choice and diet change until April of this year. My mom had a massive heart attack and now they’re buying into the Low Fat/Low Sodium way of life and are convinced that my diet is a slow suicide attempt. Impressive how quickly things change.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some resources that aren’t too in-depth (they are unlikely to read anything more than an infogram), but are thorough and easy enough to understand for someone who doesn’t have a degree in biochemistry? I don’t need their support I just need for them to stop sabotaging me when I go home to visit.

Keep Calm and Keto On!
Camille

Family sabotage
(James storie) #2

Cholesterol Clarity by Jimmy Moore is a great resource. As well as keto clarity

(Keto in Katy) #3

You can’t reason someone out of a position they didn’t reason themselves into, but good luck.

What has worked very well for me is arriving at the place of not giving a damn what anyone thinks. Find your own gentle way to convey this, and be free.

I’m sorry to hear about your mom, and hope things get better.

@DaveKeto has a great site with clear and helpful infographics

There is also a good write up on eating academy website by Dr Attia:
http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-i

(Jo Lo) #5

Regarding your low sodium way of life, Dr Steve Phinney gives reasons why you need to go high sodium (like 4-6 grams as I recall) if you are on a low carb diet. Look for his videos on youtube.

(Camille ) #6

I am not low sodium, but my parents, as of last month, are. Thanks for the information about sodium! I’ll pass it along to them. :smiley:

(Dave) #7

Hi Camille -

I’m sorry to hear about the heart event. Indeed, you are right to have “your reasons” to defend your WOE, particularly with regard to CVD. I would say likewise you’d want to respect theirs. It’s especially difficult when someone has undergone such a scary event as they seek answers (rightfully) and often lean into the mainstream opinion (not always as rightfully).

As mentioned above, I fashioned a simple guide to cholesterol on low carb here: http://cholesterolcode.com/a-simple-guide-to-cholesterol-on-low-carb/ and I myself have extraordinarily high cholesterol, but I feel I know enough of the reasons why (along with supporting data) that I take no steps in lowering it at this time. (I’ll be doing a presentation on that in a couple weeks where I share my extensive markers to date on the Low Carb Cruise)

(Tom) #8

I’m sorry to hear of your Mom’s health issues. Was she following a keto diet at all, much less for any length of time, before her heart attack?

There’s a few things point out:

1. Since they’re the ones convinced that you’re making the bad choice, the onus is on them to provide evidence supporting their views.
  2. If they aren’t keen on reading anything deeper than an infographic, they are fantastically unqualified to speak into your life so far as diet goes.
  3. Dr Volek and Phinney might be better informed than you, but right now you are the keto expert in the family.
  4. Because of the above points, they need to respect your choices and stop f@rking with you. You’re all adults, and such behaviors extends way beyond dietary choices.
  5. Thanks to recent events, critical thinking seems to be making a bit of a comeback (some places, maybe not), so if they are prone to critically evaluating a political article or bit of news, you might simply direct them to try and critically evaluate a book or a movie like Fat Head (I think it’s a nicely done bit of information for noobs).
  6. There’s a growing list of celebrities who are going keto. It’s a fallacy, but an appeal to fame might get traction where other things don’t.