Ketogenic Diets Helps Increase HDL

I was in literal shock when I saw this. Not because I didn’t know it, I did. But because #2, which is about Keto and HDL, actually does a very good job summarizing the benefits of this WOE.

It’s getting out there, slowly.

Still reading, and so much about this article is good. It later talks about losing weight and how IF and carb restriction have really food benefits.

(Central Florida Bob ) #3

Yes, it’s a good summary, and well-timed for me. Although my HDL is near the highest it has been in my life, it’s still low compared to my wife’s HDL and I’ve been meaning to look for a list like this. I know I’ve seen one like it before, and it seems like the same bullet points, while maybe in a different order.

Thanks for posting that.

(Jane) #4

Great article - love it!

My HDL went from 88 to 130 after keto. LDL stayed about the same so while my total cholesterol was 259, all the increase was from my HDL and my PCP was thrilled.

(Bob M) #5

@CFLBob, don’t be too concerned about your wife having a higher HDL. One reason HDL became “good” is because women tend to have “worse” markers (higher TC, LDL), yet higher HDL. An ad hoc hypothesis therefore arose that HDL is good.

@Janie, holy crap, that’s a high HDL. I’ve seen higher, but mainly in hyper-responders (Dave Feldman’s theory).

(Jane) #6

Yeah, I was surprised also. I’ll be getting it checked again after the first of the year.

My husband who is (mostly) keto has lower total, LDL and HDL that me but keto has also improved his overall.

(Central Florida Bob ) #7

“Concern” is too strong a word. I don’t know that HDL is good or that LDL is bad. I think they both have their place in our bodies. I think the conventional science is weak.

But if higher HDL really is good, and mine is on the border of the “too low” range (42 with 40 being too low), while my wife’s HDL really is good at over 100, then I’d like to raise it. When they talk about eating more olive oil, oily fish and coconut oil, I can live with trying that. Those are pretty much the only thing in that list that apply, aside from eating “purple”.

My all time favorite story is about exercise raising HDL, which this article lists. First time I ever had a lipid profile done back about '94, it was drawn on a Thursday and the nurse called the following Tuesday to tell me the results. She said my HDL was low (it was in the 30s) and I should go for a walk for 30 minutes every other day. I told her I didn’t think that would matter since I biked five or six days a week, and had ridden 100 miles the Saturday between the test and her call. The stunned silence before she said anything was priceless, and I don’t even remember what she said after that. But I went to see the doctor and was dutifully put on a statin, which lowered my HDL along with my LDL.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #8

Jane that is incredible. I struggle to raise my from 35 to 45. But it is an improvement. Can’t wait to see where it is from yesterdays blood draw.

Happy Thursday.