Ketogenic Diets and Pain

pain
peer-reviewed
research
inflammation

(Meeping up the Science!) #1

I figured there would be interest in this article. This discusses the effects ketogenic diets have on pain - and also inflammation! Many people have been asking about this. Interesting stuff, for sure. While it’s primarily neurological, the implications may perhaps be applied globally?

Abstract
“Ketogenic diets are well-established as a successful anticonvulsant therapy. Based on overlap between mechanisms postulated to underlie pain and inflammation, and mechanisms postulated to underlie therapeutic effects of ketogenic diets, recent studies have explored the ability for ketogenic diets to reduce pain. Here we review clinical and basic research thus far exploring the impact of a ketogenic diet on thermal pain, inflammation, and neuropathic pain.”

(Tom Seest) #2

I’ve been told I’ve become a bigger pain, since I went Keto, due to all the energy, but I haven’t had it tested in a lab for confirmation.

(Meeping up the Science!) #3

The puns are a telling symptom, my friend.

Interesting study and hopefully the next step will be to do more research in humans. My personal experience is that the Ketogenic diet has lowered inflammation, reduced pain and severely impacted depression. Having been sick and out of work from CFS, Fibromyalgia and depression for two years, the change in diet has improved my quality of life significantly in only 11 weeks. I am now very excited for what lies ahead.