Ketogenic and relief from Brain Fog?

Keto - week 6. Age 66. Female. Starting weight. 160. 10# loss todate. I want lo hear more about brain fog and how ketogenic diet can help me.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

The brain does really well on beta-hydroxybutyrate, one of the three ketone bodies produced by the body. Unlike the muscles, it can’t burn fat (I believe this is because the fatty acid molecules don’t pass the blood-brain barrier). Certain brain cells require glucose, as do certain other cells throughout the body. But the liver makes all the glucose they require, you don’t have to eat any carbohydrate to get it.

In any case, it is BOHB that is the brain’s preferred fuel, for the most part, and people who are fat-adapted tend to experience a better level of mental clarity than they had from eating carbohydrate.

BOHB is a new term for me. Being a newbie, could you tell me what BOHB is? I see other shorten terminology used on this forum when talking about Keto. Is there a list somewhere I could learn what they mean? Thank you.

This is an interesting read on the subject : https://theconversation.com/feeling-euphoric-on-a-low-carb-diet-the-effect-on-your-brain-is-similar-to-an-illicit-drug-76303

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

@DesignPhase Sorry! B = beta, OH = is the chemical symbol for a hydroxyl group, and B = butyrate, so BOHB is the abbreviation for beta-hydroxybutyrate.

(Lucy) #6

There’s a topic with lots of acronyms here:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #7

Plus, almost any acronym thrown into the Google bar will give you a result