Ketoaide and gut issues

(Jackie) #1

I saw the recipe for ketoaide here KetoAide homemade
Do you think this mix would affect ones gut?
I stopped using magnesium at night 6 months ago as I had an IBS flare. I am not sure what caused the flare but it seems to be mostly settled now.
I fasted on from Sunday evening to Tuesday morning (36 hrs) and had the worst headache and nausea. It seemed like I could not get my electrolytes balanced.
I would like to try this recipe but am asking the brains trust for any info.
thanks

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

While they might possibly upset your stomach, I don’t see how drinking electrolytes would cause an IBS flareup.

On the other hand, some people have reported that fibre makes their IBS worse, while others have reported that fibre seems to help their IBS. So clearly things that don’t affect one person can have an effect on another.

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

That recipe only contains 75 mg magnesium citrate. It has been used by hundreds of people on the forums here. I’ve never heard any complaints

Mag can be an issue with IBS but I think it would take much higher dosage to do so. My husband has IBS and can do up 200 mg. without a flare up. But I can do over 1000 mg without an issues. Tolerance varies a lot.

Give it a try, remember you drink that through out the day and not all at once.

Let us know how you go.

(Laurie) #4

Magnesium citrate is used as a laxative, so it might cause problems for you. Different types of magnesium are used for different purposes. Magnesium bisglycinate is a good all-rounder. Unfortunately, it has a horrible fishy taste. Some other types are also supposed to be good, but they seem hard to find online or in stores.

(Joey) #5

FWIW, magnesium citrate in dosage for ketoaid is minuscule compared to what is given for a colonoscopy prep. Everyone is different, but I’m agreeing with @PaulL here: you’re describing a serious IBS flare up … which does not seem at all to be caused by what are minor amounts of Mg Citrate.

As they say, correlation is not causation.

agree on the others

sounds more like a food choice you choose that day or a few days before maybe that ‘settled’ and gave you issues? or forcing the body in some form it wasn’t happy with and showed you this time?

I suggest real real food. Just go back on some normal Keto eating plan that suits you so well, all those foods you know you do best on, feed the body to heal and just kinda let go of all the extras and try for a simple, everyday, best clean eating for that new back in balance you want.