Keto women over 50

(cara) #101

at work i start the day with a fatbomb made from coconut oil, almond butter, and some hemp protein powder. When home it’s a huge breakfast salad with lots of spring mix and 2 or 3 friend eggs. either kee s me full for quite a while

(Carol D) #102

Dale - If you were struggling at your 4th week, remember for us “oldies” it can take months for our bodies to adapt like the younger people can. I know it’s taken me years to get to this state, its not going to take weeks to get healthy. Be patient, enjoy the success you have (I like being able to make a fist again myself!) and keep at it!

(Dale) #103

Thank you!! I really appreciate your encouraging words! Good luck on your journey.

Dale

(Liz ) #104

I’m 57, have done non-strict low carb/grain free/sort of paleo for a few years but started easy Keto (not measuring anything at all) about 5 weeks ago, not to lose weight, but because I am sick of months of burning sore feet (early peripheral neuropathy?? 'tho I am not diabetic or overweight) and years of jumpy legs (PLMD, a form of torture that is a close relative of RLS). Also stiff fingers in the morning. I was diagnosed with Grave’s disease a few years ago and my dad died (slowly) of a nasty neurogenerative condition that looked a lot like Progressive Supranuclear Palsy. And he loved sugar. So I’m in it for the anti-inflammation and neuroprotection.
Going keto hasn’t been difficult - main adjustments have been a bit less protein, and more fats. I now have a macadamia and coconut smoothie for b’fast rather than a big bowl of meat and veg. It’s made mornings much simpler.
I monitor using blood glucose and Beta-HO-B. BHOB levels typically between 0.9 and 2.5 without calculating macros at all, I think I’m doing OK, body feels good, feet sensation still a bit weird at times but its early days. Have had one night without PLMD. Less likely to binge eat too, which is a bonus. Minor weight loss eg a kilo or 2 but with BMI of 22 I don’t need to lose more weight.
Am interested in what other women have shared so far re menopausal symptoms, keen to see if keto and healthy fats will help my hot flushes and let me get off the Livial (aka tibolone) which I’ve taken for 9 months. It costs 60 bloody $$$ a month!
Also keen to see if keto will make a difference to my thyroid Abs. Starting GAPS diet in 2014 made a big difference within weeks but they have never normalised, and I live with the spectre of a Grave’s disease recurrance.
I’m pretty keen on LCHF and will talk to any one who’ll listen!

(Jacquelyn Graham) #105

I’ve never felt better, honestly. 54 this year and it’s been the easiest thing I’ve ever done. No other way of eating has fixed so many issues and given me so much energy and so many benefits. Finally appear to be going through menopause (hallelujah!) and other than some random hot flashes, it’s not a bother. And this is someone who had unbelievable heavy periods for years that lasted weeks on end. My hormones were a mess and now they are regulating themselves. The fact that I’ve lost so much weight and kept it off is simply a miracle that I’m very grateful for; still can’t believe it’s me when I catch my reflection in a window. I have noticed if I eat a lot of dairy, the hot flashes are worse, so I’m going to try weeding those out and see what effect it has on me. Keep at it and get used to not being hungry! :smiley:

(KCKO, KCFO) #106

I went through my hot flash phase while doing the Zone diet 40c/30p/30f. I rarely had them, usually when I had too many carbs that day. If that kept me in control almost all the time, I think I would have not had any on Keto. I was younger and foolish at the time. Just couldn’t get over the higher fats on Keto, so didn’t even try it.
In general, I had a pretty easy time of menopause due to being at least lower carbs and moderate protein. I will add I didn’t/don’t have any health issues to complicate the picture.

Good luck sorting yourself out.

I’m so happy to have found this group. You have inspired me to appreciate all the improvements I see in myself after only 3 weeks. I have not lost any weight the past 5 days and in fact gained 2 lbs. So I was feeling low, but on reading some here, have realized that yes, I haven’t taken any pain killers in over 10 days! I don’t need a nap in the afternoon! I can keep up with my 5 yr old grandson! ( Some of the time.). I’ll be 60 this year and was really feeling old. This gives me hope that the future is not just a relentless decline!

(Victoria Mc Coy) #108

II’m 60, and loving where I am today thanks to Keto and fasting. For me, adding extended fasts (3-5 days) has been key to keeping my weight loss going.

Today marks exactly 5 full months since I began the ketogenic diet on January 1st. In February I began adding multi-day extended fasts.

For the last several years, and especially after I went through menopause at age 58, I saw my weight begin to creep UP relentlessly despite my best efforts to keep to a low cal (1200-1500 a day) diet and exercise routine of an hour a day, 3-5 days per week. Even Atkins no longer worked for me.

Last year I was faced with declining energy, I was borderline diabetic with an A1C of 5.7, and high blood pressure at 150/100, which my doctor was ready to medicate if it did not come down within a month.

As of this morning, praise God, I have achieved exactly a 30 pound weight loss, my blood pressure is at a lovely 118/73, and has been at a consistently healthy range since March, and as of April 12, my A1C is back in the normal range at 5.4.

I can’t believe how different I feel. It meant the world to me to be able to climb the stairs easily (well, mostly) to help with laundry and bedtime and baby during a visit to my daughter’s home earlier this month, and to have the energy to keep up with their busy life as a family of 5 with three sweet little ones under 6 years old, then to head straight from there to a successful 2-day business trip.

At 220 lbs today, I know this is just the beginning of a long journey for me, but I am so grateful for this progress toward better health. I had almost given up. Nothing I tried was working. I thought I just had to accept my situation as part of getting older.

As I write this, I have not eaten since Monday dinner and I feel not starved, but terrific!!! I have so much energy and I’m excited for all I can accomplish this weekend. My body can finally access and use those stores of fat I’ve been carrying around, and it feels great!

I can’t adequately express the gratitude I feel having come through one of my most stressful times at work in recent years and anticipating the birth of my fourth grandchild expected in November feeling strong and capable and excited for the healthy years ahead of me.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I just had to share my joy and hope with all of you who may have similar issues on your own journeys. Happy Friday! :blossom:

(Tricia) #109

Hi! I’m 50, also! Been on Keto almost 8 weeks, lost only 6 lbs. No cheats, 1100-1200 cal, 55 pro, 10 “total” carbs, 100 fat. Wish it would go as little faster, but still progress!

(Mary) #110

I don’t know if you’re still following this thread, Olivia, and I don’t have any suggestions for you, but I wanted to sympathize. I, too, have been keto for nearly as long as you (5 months) and managed to gain 5 lbs in the first couple of weeks. I’m getting very close to my start weight but can hardly call that a “loss” :grin:. My night sweats are bad, but yours sound worse. Maybe I’ll stop whining…

How are things going for you? It’s been about 6 wks since you wrote this post and I’m very interested in whether you’ve managed to solve the mystery.

I’ve now gained weight above my starting weight. My fat is mushy and lumpy like never before (last year I had ab defintion and no below the belly button pooch and certainly no love-handles or back fat, all which I have now!!) and wherever I ask people say it’s like this before a whoosh (but it’s been eight months now and there’s been no whoosh, just the opposite)

I tried to stop keto for a week to see what will happen, ate low/lower carb and I added three pounds in as many days and my precarious hunger (what was never silenced during keto) came back with a vengeance so I’m feeling trapped. Nothing is working for me.

Hot flashes and night sweats are better, but only because I’m now on hormonal creams (got them from Amazon) and I’m doing yoga and sleep meditation every day.

(Edith) #112

Maybe this article from Maria Emmerich’s website will help:

That is a great article and explains things so we’ll. Although I admit, some of it I can’t wrap my head around. My blood pressure has gone down remarkably as well. I now average 105/70 , which is so much better and I have cut my meds in half. I see the doc next month. Don’t know what he will say about my new way of eating. I’m not really hopeful that he’ll be in agreement with it. But too bad. I’ve lost 10 lbs so far even though I put a couple on the last weigh in. And yes, he was nagging me to lose weight, as I was also pre diabetic. And I truly tried hard, to no avail. And was miserably hungry and obsessed wiith calories. Feel so much better on this.

Have any of you been afraid to tell your doctor ? Found a doc who’s on board? Been told off by your doc?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #115

Don’t think I’ll bring it up with mine. My triglycerides were too high so he recommended a low fat diet.

(Mary) #116

That’s concerning :worried:. It’s one thing to not lose weight - quite another to gain.

Stopping isn’t really an option for me. I’ve been dieting since I was 14 and I know that CICO doesn’t work (for me, and probably anyone else). Besides that, it makes me hungry and hunger makes me insane. And yes, I’m pretty sure if I eat any level of carbs, I’ll instantly start putting on more weight. I’m trying very hard not to feel trapped but there’s always this little whisper in the back of my head…

So I just keep on - I’m hoping my body will eventually release some fat, but I’m trying to prepare myself for being 220 lbs for the rest of my life :cry:

I guess me too, after that tiny test with carbs (I ate 60 grams for a week and added three pounds of mushy fat!) Not to mention the hunger and the decline in mood!

But it’s SO disheartening not gaining any of the benefits others are reaping from keto. My body looks way worse, my hunger isn’t under control and my mood is precarious again after it stabilized along with my sleep. I decided to go on straight HRT to hopefully resolve all my symptoms, but my doctor is very resistant and claims my hormones are fine “for my age” and there’s no way to get those hormones if he won’t let me have them!

(E.O.) #118

How did I miss this thread for so long! Rectifying that right now. I’m in the over 50 crowd too. I have a great number of serious food allergies and doing Keto Dr. Berg style because I’ve tried everything else, nothing worked for me, and Dr. Berg’s method is working. I’ve not yet measured again, but the last time I measured was just about 4 weeks in and I"d lost 10 lbs but 20 inches and 2 dress sizes! It works for me. Getting the daily potassium/sodium ratio just right for my body’s needs is my sweet spot for fat loss. Every body is unique.

I bought a magnesium/potassium supplement. It seems to help immensely. There is so much info to take in. I always feel that the more I learn, the less I know. I’m 3 weeks in and haven’t gotten much smaller, but do feel much better. I urge all of you who are getting discouraged to try different things that may help. Like keeping your electrolytes up and looking into mineral or vitamin deficiencies you may have.

(Courtney ) #120

I am so glad to find you! I’m 50, got thrown into menorpause when I had ovarian cancer and went through chemo two years ago.

I like keto but haven’t had results like everyone else I see. I need support and advice. Thanks!