Keto women over 50

(Janelle) #483

Amen to that. I’m a little tired of hearing certain people (who are not 50+ women) say “just don’t track”. I clearly see more weight loss with fewer calories. I think the trick is to not fall into a pattern of calorie restriction. I guarantee part of the weight loss benefit for women who fast is that they don’t “refeed” (really dislike that term) the same amount of calories as they technically should have to make up for days’ worth of not eating.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #484

I’m popping in to say “hi”.
I’m only 38, but had my tubes and ovaries removed at the end of December. That put me into surgical menopause. Not sure if that makes me an “honorary” member of this group or not. :grinning:

Hello all you wonderful ladies!

I haven’t been on here in quite a while,and have missed all of the kindness and help you’ve given. My road trip on Keto took an unwelcome detour that has now come to an end. Finding my way back, and determining to stay with Keto has occurred a last. Sometimes, it takes an awful wake up call to draw us back to where we need to be. My “wake up call” came early one morning a few months ago. It was the ICU calling to say that my only sibling had slipped into a coma; he died not long after we got there. Under his morbid obesity, he had such a sweet, gentle and kind soul- that the world so needed. Experiencing that loss proved to be too much for me to handle properly. I tried, but fell short. Every pound I had lost previously came thundering back.

A few days ago, though, I finally clicked on my YouTube notifications and saw that Dr. Ken Berry, M.D. had uploaded new videos. His common sense approach to Keto, helpful hints and encouragement just pulled me back from the brink. So, if any of you are looking for a solid medical doctor’s advice - a doctor and his wife- who live the Keto life, and practice IF, then, he’s the one to watch and learn from. Not too many MD’s are out there that will promote Keto, so finding his videos If you have questions, you can post them in the comments section under the video, and he does answer you. There’s got to be over a hundred of them.

Hopefully, that will be of help to someone out there. Anyways, I’m back … Down from 228+ to 225 in less than a week. I turned 52 in a couple months, so, it would be nice to drop more weight prior to that. Just doing this one day at a time.

(Edith) #486

Ah, sure! Why the heck not.

Welcome!

(Edith) #487

Yup, I definitely have to watch how much food I put into my body.

I realized just this week that I may have been in low carb purgatory due to the amount of protein I eat. I’ve gotten strict with keeping the protein lower this weekend and I’ve added intermittent fasting, as well: 24 hours Wednesday, 18 hours today. My blood ketones are higher. I think my weight may actually be starting to move downward again. It had been slowly creeping back up over the past 6 months.

I will be 53 next month and I’m still peri menopausal. Those wacky hormones are definitely not helping! :rage:

(Jennibc) #488

I find that I do well at 1600 to 1900 calories a day if I am staying higher fat, moderate protein, and lower carb (net between 15-30). Calories do matter for me. I gained on very low carb this past thanksgiving because I ate too much. Too much butter and too much cheese. I am sure my calories were well over the 2000 mark, maybe pretty close to 2500.

(Jennibc) #489

I am very sorry for the loss of your brother. I hope you don’t beat yourself up over the backslide. I can’t imagine the pain you are experiencing.

(Echo) #490

I’m 47 and didn’t lose for 5 weeks!! But two months later my clothes were loose.

(Jane) #491

Of course! Welcome!!!

I went through menopause in my 40’s so not much older than you.

(Jane) #492

I’m so sorry you lost your brother. And glad you found your way back here.

I agree with your opinion of Dr. Berry. My friend who clued me in on keto and this forum is a fan of Dr Berry so I watched a lot of his videos and really like him.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #493

how big are you? I am small boned and do 800 calories a day/

(Janelle) #494

I do 1600 or so. 5’9” big boned.

(Sharon Chandler) #495

I have a question for everyone.

I presented a very broad explanation of keto to co-workers over lunch last week and I’ve been noodling on one of the comments made. Several people stated they trim their fat off their steaks or de-fat their soups or can’t stomach the idea of coffee with fat in it. They idea of eating fat just grossed them out. It wasn’t a matter of they didn’t agree with the idea of eating more fat, just they didn’t like it in those instances.

I’m stumped because I’m one of those people who once their hear why they should do something I just jump in and do it (plus I’ve never been shy of eating fat). So how do I graciously help them get over the grossness of eating fat? I don’t think they’d have a problem with butter or cream cheese, just normal meat fat in whatever form. Does my question make sense?

(Janelle) #496

Keto 4 months. I do not eat fat on meat. You don’t have to put fat in your coffee. I get annoyed by people talking about drinking bacon grease. Gross.

(Jane) #497

They don’t have to eat the fat off their steaks. I only eat a little bit and still cut quite a bit off. They can get their fat in dairy (butter, HWC, cream cheese), eggs and eating fattier cuts like dark meat chicken and ribeyes.

(Jane) #498

And BACON!!!

:bacon:

(Jennibc) #499

I am or was 5’8. I probably am about 5’7.5 now as I age. But I exercise daily. I don’t know if you’d say I have a large frame. I do know that if you go too low with calories, you will slow down your metabolism. That’s why I try to never go lower than 1600. Also I am fine with losing just under 4 pounds a month.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #500

I somehow lost a half inch as well. If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you? Being small-boned, and 60, I am fearing the DEXA scan. But I do resistance and my Vitamin D blood level is good. But, my whole life, I take four bites, and I am full. Even when I cheat with a hamburger and bun - I always throw away half.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #501

Then again, I believe it’s not how much you are eating, but what you are eating. When I ate carbs, I gained weight, even though I was still eating very little. Meat and veggies, very few calories. Keto is the best thing that has ever happened to my post-menopausal body.

(Jennibc) #502

I turned 52 in November and am post menopause.