Keto women over 50

(Sharon S ) #282

Hi, Sue! It’s great to see some new girls joining in!

(sue) #283

Hi everyone…:blush:After a rocky start I have had my first weigh in… and have lost 15.1pounds or 7kg… wasn’t the instant drop that lots of people report but it appears to be picking up pace. after lots of reading it was absolutely insulin resistance and some tweaks and things have really stepped up… Go to butter Bob on you tube and he will help there are a couple of others who helped a lot…Hope everyone is having success…#insulin resistance #finally breaking through :smiley:

(sue) #284

Thanks girls… :grin:

(sue) #285

:clap::clap::clap: that’s awesome! So happy for you​:blush:

(Kristin) #286

Boy do I have the same experience!

Thanks, @sue3!:smile:

Excellent! Always good to see the weight loss! :wink:

(Lynn Chodur) #289

Hello. I will join you. I’m a Newbie and have been doing this for 3 weeks. I’m 56 years old, and I have questions that pertain to my age group. Maybe some of you can answer these.
I have been on Thyroid meds for a number of years, as well as HRT and an acid reflux med. I am planning to try eliminating the acid reflux med when this prescription is finished. I am contemplating coming off the HRT when I next see my GYN. Can anyone tell me if they’ve had any experience with this? Also, will keto/fasting affect my thyroid ( need for medication)?

(Lynn Chodur) #290

What apps do you suggest?

(Blessed with butter ) #291

Got my labs back. Ac1 prior 6.1 now 5.4. Cholesterol prior 225. HDL 67. Triglycerides 191. LDL 127. Now total 234. HDL 74. Triglycerides 115. LDL 137. Note from dr. YOU ARE DOING GREAT KEEP UP THE KETO

Excellent!!! :clap::clap::clap:

(Jane ) #293

I go between Chronometer and Fat Seacret ( The name is horrible but it is free and has a good data base and is customizable.

(Karen) #294

Congrats, just be a younger Doc.

K

(Anjum) #295

Hi Lynn. I am also on thyroid meds and HRT. After 8 months of keto, my meds were reduced for the first time in 7 years. I practice intermittent fasting and find no adverse effects. I would wait a few more weeks before taking the plunge in eliminating meds and or HRT. First get into ketosis and give your body time to adjust. The wonderful thing about keto is that you can adjust it again and again to achieve your goals. Good luck and please know I will answer any question you may have to the best of my ability.

(Blessed with butter ) #296

OK really only 4.5 oz of protein a day…I am way over protein intake.
is that right?

(Lynn Chodur) #297

Hi, thanks for your response. Where you able to get off HRT and reduce your thyroid meds? I have been keto for 3 weeks, and I’m doing ok, but I wish I could find the energy they are talking about. I eat 2 meals a day. Lunch at 12:30 and dinner around 6. I have done a couple of 24 hour fasts, but didn’t feel right on the last one so I have been just eating as above for the last week or so. I initially lost about 8 pounds but it seems to have come back all of a sudden. Maybe I inadvertently ate some bad carbs?

I’ve been told to mix up the durations between meals. A 1MAD, 2MAD, 36 hour fast, etc. Keep the body guessing. Fingers crossed, but I haven’t plateaued yet. Also POD cast #58 with Ramos talks about mixing it up. Hope this helps. But I do think you need to learn to fast at least a little. Good luck!

(Anjum) #299

Lynn,
I am not off HRT but it was reduced recently. If I continue on keto I do see a potential of being able to get off of it. I had keto flu the first 2 weeks. Once I got over than I saw a slow uptick of energy. Keto has no absolutes, much depends on your body and how quickly you adapt. I only began IF 8 months in. It is important to track your macros. This will give you a better idea of how your foods are effecting you. Through tracking I realized I need low crab, low protein, and high fat. You will have to play around with the ideal combination for you. Initial weight loss is water weight. Let go of the scale and use a measuring tape to measure your waist, biceps, thighs, chest. Weight loss is really fat loss, and slow fat loss is probably what you will experience. 3 weeks in is slightly premature to expect A typical results. Keep at it friend, keto is a silent worker bee healing what ails you, the weight is the last thing to go.
The weight coming back could be bloat. Are you drinking enough water? Everyone’s required water intake is different. I drink 3 liters ( 99 oz) - and those off days I don’t drink the water I immediately feel bloated and it shows on the scale. Don’t worry about IF right now, just focus on feeding your body and tracking what you eat. Everyone says listen to your body, if you are hungry, drink some water and add some salt to it. Usually this zaps cravings. If after that you are still hungry, eat. Keto is a lifestyle for me. I have tweaked everything. I still track macros and tracking keeps me accountable. This is a journey - not a quick fix. I hope this is helpful, please do not hesitate to ask more questions. Good luck.

(Karen) #300

I went completely off thyroid meds after a year of keto. I figured my liver was as healthy as it could be and I did the bloodwork to prove it. I was off thyroid medication for two months and then retested. I am way out of the range and clearly still hypothyroid. Back on thyroid medication.

(Anjum) #301

A lot depends on what your Dr. thinks/believes. Most are trying to have your ranges at an optimal level. Are you feeling ok? Or are you feeling bad? My meds were just lowered, i feel great but my levels are not optimal. I gauge it by how I feel. I do not have hashimotos - I had thyroid cancer and subsequent removal. My Dr. is actually very shocked that I don’t need as much anymore.