Keto, Weight lifting, and Fasting - can you fast (36 hr) AND lift on the same day?

fasting

I have been in Keto for about a month, after starting with a 7 day fast. After a week, I , resumed IF from 8pm till about 8am the following day (36 hours). I do this 2x a week, and I lift 4x a week (Push, Pull, Push, Pull) for about an hour each time. So sometimes my fasting and lifting coincide. I’m trying to lose weight AND gain strength (as a woman, don’t want to be hugely bulky, but want definition and tone). Am I defeating my purpose by fasting on lift days? I find I’m less hungry on lift days, so it is easier to fast.

I just ordered a blood ketone meter - will be here tomorrow, but the pee stix show consistent ketosis in the medium to dark range.

I try to eat 70% fat, 10% carb and 20% protein, with 10-15 g of carbs coming from fiber. Am pretty consistent - use MCT oil in decaf if I am low on fat or more likely, high on protein. I eat about 1500-1700 calories a day on lift days, around 1200-1300 on non-exercise days (I broke my ankle 3 months ago and can barely walk 3 blocks, so I move SLOWLY and don’t burn much), and just a cup of coffee and water on fasting days.

Any recommendations if I should keep fasting on lift days if they coincide? The weight is not exactly falling off, but I am MUCH leaner, so I’m not worrying about it. I’m not going to eat less (but did stop snacks this week - just eating 2-3 meals a day to satiation and ratios). Have a year before I turn 50 - my goal is to be super fit by then.

(Allie) #2

I do, but have to take things more gently than when I’m eating as it is much harder work.

(Straight outta ‘Straya’) #3

I worked out hard on day 1 of my fasts I’ve been fasted 18 or so hours already), day 3 and day 5.

Day 1 no change.
Day 3 was beast mode! Damn I destroyed that work out. Sooooo much energy.
Day 5 of EF. Work out destroyed me. I break fast a few hours later.

Had to stop my work outs of late due to tendinitis and a torn rotator cuff but should be good in a few more weeks

(Carol Arbelo) #4

Well that’s not good so I sure don’t want to do that

(Chris) #5

It’s entirely up to how you feel. I’ve done heavy twice a day barbell training on 5 day fasts before without issue. Just don’t stand up too fast.

http://chestofbooks.com/health/natural-cure/Bernarr-MacFadden/Fasting-Hydropathy-and-Exercise/A-Seven-Day-Fast-An-Experience-Of-One-Of-The-Authors.html