Keto vs Plant-based diet

(KM) #21

On one hand the result of biochemical hacks is extremely difficult to discern, even for one individual, definitely.

I was just expanding the definition of “the right diet”, because I feel like there’s this tendency to misunderstand each other when some people come at it from the standpoint of getting to what I’d call a naturally healthy state, some people want to maintain a healthy state, and some people start with a naturally healthy state and aim to go beyond that, building on the human experience in some new way. Does “a proper human diet” include meat? I think so. Does it include NMN supplements, for example? It certainly doesn’t have to include them to create a healthy person, nature did not design us to consume this item. It doesn’t mean we couldn’t potentially be better with it than without.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

This is Nina Teicholz’s point. The dietary guidelines are supposedly intended to keep healthy people healthy (whether they do or not is not at issue, here). That means that the guidelines do not apply to the 60-80% of us who are not healthy, and we are free to adopt the kind of diet that helps us recover (the fact that this kind of diet differs wildly from the guidelines is also not at issue, here).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

We are all generally the same. The amount of genetic variation between people is minimal. However, there is such a thing as individual variation, which is why the Dudes insist that (a) we need to know the science, and (b) we need to figure out what works best for us as individuals.

(Geoffrey) #24

Oh I fully agree with you on that. I’m just saying that we are all different in how things affect us and we all have the freedom to choose what path we go down.