Keto vs. Carnivore and optimal weight (fat) loss

conversationstarters
keto
weightloss
carnivore

(George) #1

I would like to eventually transition into carnivore, at least for a trial run to see if I like it, just not too sure when exactly.

Anyone here have any experience making the switch? If so, how far into keto did you do it? How were your results?

My main goal right now is weight/fat loss while maintaining lean muscle. Down approx 50lbs., another 62ish lbs till I hit goal weight.

(bulkbiker) #2

I tried it after about 2 1/2 years of keto last year in July . Simply stopped having vegā€¦ no real need to ā€œtransitionā€ I didnā€™t feel much different although havenā€™t lost a lot of weight (although hd lost 110 pounds with keto).
I might be a rather ā€œlooseā€ carnivore though. Still have cream in coffee, lactofree milk in tea and some dark chocolate with occasional macadamia nuts and sometimes mushrooms!
I did a beef only for solid food in January and lost a few more pounds so from that would say the stricter you are the better? @Dread1840 is more experienced than me.

(mole person) #3

I consider myself a loose carnivore too. I have dairy, and incidental vegetables that I use in cooking meat. My vegetable carbs never exceed 5 grams though.

I donā€™t know if it changes the rate of fat loss but it definitely affects my weight. I have much less inflammation on carnivore. My weight loss had definitely plateaued on keto but Iā€™m still losing on carnivore. Iā€™m very curious to see when I plateau next.

I donā€™t actually need, or even want, any more weight losses at this point but Iā€™m curious to see the experiment out and see where various protocols take me with respect to size and inflammation.

Once I plateau on this dirty carnivore diet I plan to give up dairy and see how that affects things and then do a stint of meat and water and see what that does. Then I will begin reintroductions until I find the best diet I can for my inflammation issues.

(Cristian Lopez) #4

Whatā€™s dirty carnivore?

(mole person) #5

Not pure. Dairy, coffee, some incidental vegetables, bit of chocolate.

(Cristian Lopez) #6

Yeah, dairy sounds like the black sheep in that plan.

(George) #7

Just for clarification, true carnivore is just meat/fish, fats, some cheese ans some eggs, right?

(hottie turned hag) #8

I started keto Aug 2017 and only meat/eggs/butter about six weeks ago, eliminating all cheese and veg.
I was stalled at 122; after going carnivore I swiftly went to 118 and mean to get to 110.

Changes since dropping cheese and veg:
better sleep
mood ā€œsmoothnessā€; less irritability
odd one: no more need for ChapStick for constantly dry lips
(gross, sorry) perfect BMs
super mild hunger; Iā€™d been eating once/24h since 08/17 and by hour 20-22 was ravenous. Now, itā€™s a far less intense hunger and often not felt until hour 28 OR LONGER.

(mole person) #9

People define it differently. For some dairy isnā€™t true carnivore because carnivores donā€™t eat dairy and it certainly isnā€™t something weā€™ve evolved much with (being a late addition to our diets evolutionarily). For others itā€™s even fine to eat a small amount of plant matter since plenty of carnivorous animals do that too.

(mole person) #10

Iā€™ve had this problem for a decade. Iā€™d pass out from happiness if I could solve it with a dietary change.

(George) #11

I donā€™t think Iā€™d have any problems eliminating dairy and veg. I love meat! lol. I just want to do whatever will work best with achieving my weight loss goals

(Robert C) #12

I think ā€œtrue carnivoreā€ would have to include brains, livers, hearts, bone marrow etc. as our hungry ancestors did when they downed an animal (nose-to-tail usage).

Muscle meat, fish, cheese and eggs are all animal products but, I am not sure would be considered ā€œtrue carnivoreā€. Maybe more like an elimination diet that might or might now work for someone in the long run.

(mole person) #13

Itā€™s really just an open question. We have no long term data. It might be the case, for all we know, that even if a ā€œmuscle meat, fish, cheese and eggsā€ diet is inferior to a ā€˜nose to tailā€™ diet it might still be superior to a diet with a lot of plants. The state of our nutrition science is just that level of horrendous.

(mole person) #14

Are you still on the egg fast?

(George) #15

Iā€™m starting it today actually. Well, I guess you can say I technically started it yesterday since all I ate were eggs, cheese (and 1 strip of bacon) at my mother-in-laws. Funny enough, I hit a minor stall on Saturday, so fasted the rest of the day, ate the eggs on sunday morning, weighed myself a few hours later, and lost 3lbs from the day before LOL.

(bulkbiker) #16

Maybe or maybe notā€¦ we simply donā€™t knowā€¦Shawn Baker seems to do pretty well on only muscle meat.
Muscle meat and fish would most certainly be considered true carnivore by everyone I follow who is doing it. Eggs, cheese and other dairy possibly more ā€œdirtyā€ ā€¦

(mole person) #17

I just read your plan on the other thread. I want to test a theory and your plan will do it well since you will be reintroducing vegetables in the second week, followed by a second egg fast in the third. Would you consider starting a progress thread and report your eating and daily weigh ins? For science!!! :smiley:

(hottie turned hag) #18

Yep me too. Decades. Would panic if I didnā€™t have a ChapStick or lipstick with me at all times.
I was truly floored by this totally unlooked-for effect.

My oral HSV1 outbreaks ceased as well when I went keto back in 2017; Iā€™m wondering if thereā€™s some connection, immune system wise. Or something to do with oral mucosal integrity.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

Dairy isnā€™t carnivore? I thought it was animal-based, therefore okay.

Isnā€™t this why people usually talk about ZC/carnivore?

(bulkbiker) #20

Well dairy isnā€™t zero carbā€¦ but in its purest form Carnivore is considered by most to be ā€œeat meat, drink waterā€ in fact in the ultimate incarnation it would be ā€œeat beef, drink waterā€. Anything down from that is kind of ā€œdirtyā€ so dairy, eggs often are excluded due to various problems some may have with them.
Personally I would describe myself as a 95% carni as I have coffee with cream, tea with lactofree milk and some cheese and eggs along with a mainly meat diet.