Keto vegetable garden

(David Pegg) #1

What’s your favourite (and easiest) keto vegetables to grow?

I have a terrible time having anything survive. I have had success with cherry tomatos, beetroot and some beans, but this was before keto. What would you suggest I try? (Temperate Sydney climate, bad clay soil etc)

Coming into autumn now for us

(Lauren) #2

The best success I’ve had is with zucchini however unless you’ve got the time to hand pollinate they aren’t the “easiest”
I’ve just planted some cucumber seeds & hope to get Brussel sprout seeds soon to plant for the cooler months (mmmm deep fried BS)

(Jacquie) #3

You may want to check out this thread on gardening. Any other questions…ask away. :smile:

(Todd Allen) #4

Chickens are my favorite/easiest keto vegetables to grow.

But you might try:
Swiss chard, leaf & romaIne lettuces, collards, mustard, kale and turnip greens, radishes, spinach, sage, basil, parsley, cilantro, green onions, sorrel and stevia

My preference is for things that can be continuously harvested in small quantities - pretty much all the leafy vegetables and herbs, which also tend to be the most keto friendly. As for soil, it doesn’t matter much what you start with for small garden plots because you can/must amend it with the addition of lots of organic matter: manure, leaves, composted kitchen waste, etc. Bordered or raised beds can speed the process of creating fertile soil.

Herbs. Lots and lots of herbs. Rosemary, bay leaf, thyme, oregano, marjoram, sage, parsley, basil, cilantro, tarragon, chives.

(Jacquie) #6

Got them all and then some! Absolutely love herbs. :heart_eyes: Though I didn’t use Corsican mint as an herb but as a ground cover between stepping stones in the Gulf Islands, I haven’t tried it here as it probably won’t be as hardy as in the GI’s. It has a fabulous fragrance when you walk on it. @Fiorella have you ever used it in cooking?

I’ve not used it personally. It’s pretty strong tasting. It’s used in creme de menthe liqueur.

(Jacquie) #8

Enough said. :wink:

(Jan) #9

Daikon radishes. Some places use them just to break up heavy clay soil, then plow them back (wasting the radish! Such a travesty!)

(JennyBelle ) #10

And to add to that if I may, a lot of those things can be grown in pots as well. In Alaska we have a very short growing seasons, so I start really early and transplant later on. though some we keep close to the house for multiple pruning:)

Do avocado trees grow in your region?

(David Pegg) #12

I actually have had a few growing over the last few years. The oldest died. Now I have a couple about 2 foot high. Hopefully they will work!

Thanks for the other ideas. I have some herbs. They are very handy for making dishes so much tastier, like a finishing touch. But they don’t provide the bulk!

(Warren Whitford) #13

I must say the idea of planting of vegetables is really wonderful idea. It is a lifestyle of self-sufficiency and I think one should take an interest in doing this. Eating fresh vegetables leads to healthy life. That is why, a few months before I had started gardening, but just over a month, rodents had started damaging my crops of corn. Then, I had called up NYC pest control to get rid of these rodents, where the Exterminator in Manhattan area had reached my house and successfully eliminated all these rodents. Then, after the infestation again, I had started planting vegetables like cucumber seeds, and broccoli.