Keto to treat depression

science

Hi all. Newbie here. Thanks to Richard for answering my queries on messenger and steering me to the forum. I am a 61 yr old woman who has already lost about 15 kg (net - lost 20, gained 5) after being on a reality weight loss show last year. It was a crock of (insert expletive) as far as weight loss theory goes, but got me kick started out of a rut.

I suffer pretty serious depression which was worsened by my husband dying pretty quickly from cancer four years ago, and I also suffer severe PTSD due to my job (intensive care paramedic).
Both depression and PTSD LOVE carbs and G and T, so I descended into a bad place for a while.
Now off work and working to improve my health, and I know that LCHF is going to be a sustainable way to do that.

Losing weight reversed my NIDDM and hypertension, and my bloods are pretty jolly good now. My local doc is on board with my choices for treatment so that is good.
My only medication now is an antidepressant, and seriously want to get off that if I can elevate my mood with dietary management.

Thanks for reading this far, and I would love to hear of anyone who has had success, or knows of any studies that deal with this issue.

cheers all :slight_smile:

(Karen) #2

Welcome! Great community. This will help.

K

(Diane) #3

Hi and welcome! I am 52 years old, and have been eating ketogenically since September 2017. I’ve lost 70 lbs so far. I have PCOS diagnosed at age 39. Some people have referred to this as diabetes of the ovaries. I have suffered from all sorts of associated symptoms including depression (which started at puberty- in hindsight) and began antidepressant therapy then, at age 39. Although I had a prescription in hand, it took me several months to fill it. I’m not sure why I was so resistant, but I was hard for me to face my diagnosis. It should have been a relief to know what was going on, but I was feeling very broken. I tried several antidepressants over several years before I finally found one that worked better for me. But it was terribly expensive ($1200-$1400 a month) and my insurance stopped covering the cost. I had to switch to something that I could afford, but didn’t work as well.

Within a month or two of starting this WOE (way of eating), I was able to completely come off the antidepressant for the first time in 13 years. My mind is clearer and my memory is improved. I now feel better OFF the medication than I ever felt on it. I have been accused in the past of being pretty tightly wound, but I find I don’t get worked up much any more. I handle stress with more equanimity. I feel kinder when others are acting out. I feel more like ME. My sister says she has gotten her sister back. She is now eating ketogenically because she has seen what a huge difference this has made for me. (Her husband, another sister and a niece are also eating keto too). I’m a pretty strong advocate for trying a keto way of eating.

I could be angry that the answer to healing my brain was so fundamentally simple, restrict carbs and eat more fat and no one told me (certainly not health care providers). And the thought of all those years lost in a fog of just getting by… But I’m feeling too grateful for finding something that FINALLY works so well. Who knew that my brain needed fat!

I have a lot of other complicated health issues and I’m hoping that over time I’ll see improvement in those areas as well. But if the only improvements I ever see are the mental clarity and mood stabilization, I would eat this way forever.

I wish you well in your journey.

Hi and welcome,

Sorry to hear about your husband.

Have you had your Vitamin D checked?
Mild depression was so normal for me that I had no idea was even experiencing it!
Then I got tested for Vit D, found I was deficient and started supplementing
and that ever-present grey cloud lifted.
What a difference!

I realise that you have a lot of other things going on, but worth checking whether Vit D deficiency is in the mix as well…

(Emma Cohn) #5

I’m sorry for your loss. This forum and the 2 Keto Dudes podcast has been so helpful for me and I hope you find what you are looking for here too.
I have anecdotal evidence that the ketogenic diet can help with depression and anxiety. It’s a bit long, and maybe a bit too passionate. But I cannot get over how much this way of eating has changed my life.
As long as I can remember I have felt depressed and a general sense of dread. Even in childhood my family thought I was serious, overly-sensitive, and moody. My first thoughts of suicide began when I was about 10 and I’ve been struggling ever since. It wasn’t until my 20s that I started seeking medical attention. For a couple years I took an SSRI and was underwhelmed. It just made me feel sleepy more than anything. Nothing worked. Counseling, light therapy, supplements, exercise. I had a job that was fulfilling, a loving and supportive family, close friends, a partner who adored me, and yet I still felt like I’d rather be dead every day.
I started keto in July of last year for the purpose of weight loss. My coworker was talking about it and while skeptical, I was fascinated by the concept and research so I decided to stay keto through the adaptation phase and see how it worked. When the brain fog lifted after a few weeks I felt like I had never felt before. Calm, secure and in control of my mood. Stressors that might have sent me into a panic before seemed remote and manageable. I feel strong and capable. And remarkably happy! Those thoughts of suicide receded so far that I was surprised to notice their absence. I have a totally different brain on keto. My general health is so much more improved now that the inflammation from sugar is gone.
Now that I’m not using all my energy to cope with depression I have the opportunity to follow my interests and pursue goals. This past year I bought a house, planned a wedding, adopted a cat, changed jobs, started lifting heavy, and recently started taking pottery classes. Just one of those things would have seemed impossible to handle before keto, but I did them all!
I am in awe of how much keto has changed my life.
I am a little regretful that I didn’t find keto earlier, now that I see how much easier my whole life might have been. This one change in the way I eat gave me my entire future back. I’m never going back to the SAD diet. This is the way my body and brain are meant to function.

Good luck to you on your keto journey.

(Diane) #6

@Emma_Cohn

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. Having struggled with some of those same issues, I find myself incredibly moved. So many others will see themself in your story and, I hope, find inspiration to try a seek a better life for themselves.

I wish you well.

(Renee Slaughter) #7

I have told my story here a couple of times. I have bipolar disorder 2. I heard Amber O’Hearn’s story about her metal health issues and how she resolved them with low then zero carb. Decided to give it a try. Now I have been pretty stable with a combination of Seroquel and Latuda.
Stopped the Latuda 2 months ago. Had a bad day about 1 month out. But none since. I wake up feeling good and looking forward to the day. I’m happy and I like me. Keto is working for me. Best wishes

Renee, that is so inspiring!!
Thankyou for sharing xx

Thankyou Emma
Community and family helps a lot, so I am so thankful to have found this community with its collective wisdom.
Your story is one of amazing strength, resilience and hope.
More power to you, you strong woman!!
This gives me huge faith that this is the right path.
Early days yet, but I will feed back progress as it happens.
xx

Hello Brunneria,
I have a very high Vit D level - about 100.
I also take fish oil for Omega 3 supplementation.

Hoping keto is the last piece to the puzzle, but hearing stories like those on this site makes me feel very hopeful
Many thanks xx

Welcome!

Keto and a 21 day fast has completely reset my physical and mental health. Lots of good folks here in the forums to help you.

(Tubeman) #12

While I’m not really one for chasing ketones, I find higher ketone levels really help improve my mood, concentration, and willpower. The keto diet is generally good for this, but I’ve been experimenting with Intermittent Fasting (20/4) and am finding it a fantastic tool for improving mental health (as well as physical, some great workout energy there). Good luck!!

Thanks Tubeman
some great suggestions
Appreciate it xx

(Bunny) #14
  1. SEROTONIN AND THE CONNECTION
    TO LOW CARB DIETS

2. Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Depression: Scientific Evidence and Biological Mechanisms

3. The Relationship between Fatty Acids and Different Depression-Related Brain Regions, and Their Potential Role as Biomarkers of Response to Antidepressants

4. The importance of n-6/n-3 fatty acids ratio in the major depressive disorder.

5. Essential Fatty Acids and the Brain

6. Your Brain On Omega 3 - Are vegetable oils appropriate for human consumption? -Psychology Today Dr. Emily Deans MD

7. Polyunsaturated fatty acid associations with dopaminergic indices in major depressive disorder

8. Omega–6/Omega–3 Ratio and Brain-Related Functions

9. Neurobehavioral Aspects of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Possible Mechanisms and Therapeutic Value in Major Depression

10. New Research: Omega-3’s Improve Your Mood!
    “…As they said in a press release, this imbalanced fat intake “had deleterious consequences on synaptic functions and emotional behaviors.” (INSERM 2011)

11. Is Grass-Fed Beef Superior to Poultry

1. Your Brain on Ketones How a high-fat diet can help the brain work better - Psychology Today Emily Deans MD Highest concentration of DHA: “…Let me put it this way. Breast milk is very high in fat. Newborns spend time in ketosis, and are therefore to some extent ketoadapted. Breast milk is also high in sugar, but babies’ brains are so big they can handle a lot more sugar than us full-grown folks. Being ketoadapted means that babies can more easily turn ketone bodies into acetyl-coA and into myelin. Ketosis helps babies construct and grow their brains. (For those interested in nitty gritty details: babies are in mild ketosis, but very young babies seem to utilize lactate as a fuel in lieu of glucose also, and the utilization of lactate also promotes the same use of acetyl-CoA and gives the neonates some of the advantages of ketoadaptation without being in heavy ketosis.) …More

2. Omega-3 fatty acids as treatments for mental illness: which disorder and which fatty acid?

3. Omega-3 fatty acids and major depression: A primer for the mental health professional

4. Omega 3 fatty acids and the brain: review of studies in depression

5. Omega-3 Fatty Acids in the Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders

6. BRAIN GUT 13: WHERE OPTIMAL MEETS ALL WORLD PERFORMANCE “…The interesting evolutionary correlate for humans is the DHA concentrations in breast milk is substantially greater than those of DPA omega 3. This is also true in all tissue of humans too. Breast milk has a similar profile of the long chained PUFA’s found in neural tissues. …” The reason breast milk matches neural tissues is because humans are born immature neurologically. They have to be to fit out of their mother’s pelvis, so brain development must be stunted to get a live birth. The human brain grows dramatically for the first 6 years of post natal life. Moreover, the brain is not well myelinated to save space for a successful live birth. This is how the brain saves space to fit out the mother’s birth canal. It also has another evolutionary side effect on immunity. It is the reason why the neuro immune system is deficient for 6 months and the mother has to protect the child from antigens. Myelin is also the insulation fat that covers many neural fiber tracts. This is why an infants can’t walk, talk, or perform complex neurologic tasks because its brain fiber tracts are not well insulated and functions much like a person who has MS. Myelin insulates nerve fibers. MS is like having massive amounts of short circuits in an electrical system and having no way to to regenerate the immune system response of T helper cells. This is precisely what MS is like in the human brain and why people with MS have neurologic compromises. …”

7. Is Fish Oil Good Or Bad

8. REALITY #4: WHY EYE AND BRAIN DISEASES ARE EXPLODING

9. Omega-6 to Omega-3 Fatty Acid Ratio in Patients with ADHD: A Meta-Analysis

10. Fish Oil Supplements and ADHD
    What consumers need to know about choosing and using Omega-3 or Omega-6 fatty-acid supplements for ADHD “…Though cod liver oil is high in omega-3 fatty acids, it is not recommended as a supplement because of concerns about excess amounts of vitamin A and D. Likewise, flax seed oil also contains high levels of omega-3 fatty acids; but, it is not the recommended form of fatty acid supplement for children with ADHD. …”

11. Changes in consumption of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in the United States during the 20th century (LOTS OF STAT CHARTS) Conclusion: The apparent increased consumption of LA, which was primarily from soybean oil, has likely decreased tissue concentrations of EPA and DHA during the 20th century.

OMG!!!
This is an AWESOME list!!!

Thank you so much :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Hi all, it has been three weeks since I put up this topic about depression, and I am very thankful for those who took the time to reply and send some resources. Thought I would give a little feedback on the experiment.

I have been off my meds for three weeks now and during that time have been quite surprised at how placid I am!!
Even my family has noticed my calm moods and just assume I am being a compliant little patient taking the doctors medicine as told.
HA!!
I have not experienced the serious lows that often accompany dropping or reducing my a/d meds, and I am sleeping well.
Early days, but this little n=1 is getting good results.

It is Easter Sunday in Oz, and I have had family arrive with ENORMOUS quantities of chocolate and I have not had one piece :smiley:

cheers all xx

(Tubeman) #17

CONGRATS!! I’m so glad to hear that you are finding success treating your depression with the keto diet! Give us another update later down the road to let us know how it’s going. I’m sure myself and others would be curious to hear about what you’ve learned down the road :slight_smile: .

I was at a friend’s house the other day, and he had a friend over who was thinking about trying the keto diet for depression. I encouraged him, having been helped by it myself, and am crossing my fingers that someone else will find healing through this way of eating :crossed_fingers:

@jennyellen, I am with you on the progress so far. I am a career law enf officer dealing with cumulative PTSD and anxiety. Since switching to Keto 3 months ago, my symptoms have minimized. I can’t cite cause yet, but for a correlation; I have had three recurrences of anxiety and panic since starting Keto, and each was within 12 hours of the 3 times I splurged/indulged in something sugary/carby. Weight loss and energy are great, but if I can maintain mood and emotions for my family and get off medication, I will be thrilled!

(back and doublin' down) #19

Emma, courageous to share and so happy for your continued healing.

@atomicspacebunny You are a Research Queen! It’s going to take me a while to work through all these. Just wow!

@jennyellen Thank you for starting this thread that I’ve just stumbled across. Congrats on your progress.

It makes sense that a healthy diet that works for the better of the digestive system would improve issues of mental health. Our gut IS our second brain! It’s where our brain chemicals are manufactured. The quality and abundance of those would be directly related to the abundance of and kind of fuel available for their production.

Plus, anyone who takes control of their eating and their life is choosing to think differently and choosing new actions. New habits, new feelings!

Emma,

I have been searching and searching for other people who lived with a constant feel of dread. That sound weird but when I mention it to anyone, they have no idea what I’m talking about. I have lived with that since I was about 25 and I’m 50. I started Keto 2 days ago and with a Keto coffee I’m drinking, it put me in ketosis in 1 day and my old buddy dread has disappeared. It’s weird because I feel “strange” not having it there but I feel so good! I have lived a life of feeling like something bad is coming no matter how good the day is and that sucks. I actually searched for keto and anxiety and found this forum. It’s nice to see that I’m not alone.

Karen