Keto Swimmers Unite!

(Ross) #41

So, @Mimi_Munro, what are your fueling thoughts post-event?

Did you eat anything specific pre-race? Bacon? Heavy Cream? Pemmican? Other?

What are your retrospective thoughts? What would you change about pre pre-race diet, if anything, for next time? :slight_smile:

(Tara Rodriguez) #42

Heyyyy everyone! So glad to find you here! I’m approaching two years Keto and preparing to begin training for the Swim for Alligator Lighthouse down in the Florida Keys. I’ve swam only for exercise since I graduated after growing up year-round competitive swimming… I’m not sure what has gotten into me but I’ve decided 2018 is my year to start competing in open water. Ha! I’ve run up to a 10K on Keto, but never swam competitively on Keto. Here I am, poking around for info and forums and BAM! here you all are!

I’ll be pool swimming until weather warms here in Michigan.

(Ross) #43

Tara! Welcome to our little keto swimming community!

https://www.swimalligatorlight.com/
Your goal even sounds amazing! 8 miles! NICE!
Being fully keto adapted will surely help!

Michigan has some wonderful open water swimming opportunities for training events like Swim To The Moon out in the Pickney Recreation Area.

Where do you tend to train in Michigan?

(Tara Rodriguez) #44

I’m definitely excited! My youngest brother is joining me, too, so it will be a great goal to work towards together. There are indeed some great open water races in Michigan so I’m sure we’ll find a few to do this summer in preparation for Lighthouse.

I swim at a local indoor high school pool in the colder months, stealing their high school team workouts, but take it to the lake during the summer. To prepare for Lighthouse I’ve been considering joining a local Masters team for more consistency, but I have four busy kids that make that thought a little more daunting. :grimacing:

(Ross) #45

Michigan has a great Masters community! I know being part of a small local masters group here in Saint Paul really helps me with motivation and consistency. I was just in the EMU 50 M saltwater pool in November while visiting family. Also a fantastic place to do laps!

I like to take a week off and swim up at Sleeping Bear in July or August. Difficult to beat swimming along miles and miles of white sand beaches.

(Mimi Munro) #46

New tattoo! Wanted to cover up a crappy 90s dragon - goal weight and survival of jelly fish seemed a good time to do it!

Booked up 10k in Greece on the summer. Hopefully I’ll get a better time!

Hope you keto swimmers are all well x

(Tom) #47

OUCH! Jellyfish are my nemesis. Bluebottles to be precise - thankfully haven’t been stung yet this season but it’s the worst thing about ocean swimming!

Some really interesting stories here. Mine is not. :frowning:
I’m only 3 months in keto lifestyle (but am enjoying every minut of it) and have been swimming in local pool most week day mornings for over 8 years (6.30 am -7.30 am). I was never competitive swimmer and still am not, but I do love swimming and can now do 2km in one go. These days I’m trying to self learn total immersion freestyle, but am still not very good at it.

(Mimi Munro) #49

Just did a fasted 8000m set. Boom! No problems at all! Just entered oceanman world champs in Dubai, planning to train fasted and use mct oil and Ucan starch to fuel on the big day.

(Lisa marie t) #50

After I’m over cold I’m going to go with range in motion at pool with my aunt. I want to do water arobics too

(Bill C) #52

I swim everyday. Usually 2500m in 57 minutes. Sometimes I go further, like 3500m or 4200m. You might think the latter is an odd distance but that’s how far I have to swim to burn 1000 calories. I figure I burn 12 calories per lap, which is 50m.

I feel like I could swim all day. I don’t get tired but beyond 2500m takes too much time. An hour is enough.

I use a swimp3 to pass the time. I also swim in a 2mm spring suit. I hate cold temperatures.

I have found I usually am 2-3lbs lighter after swimming. Kind of gross when you think all these swimmers lose that much sweat in the pool each day. Hard to believe really. Thank God for chlorine.