Keto sticks as indication for when to start fasting?

Hi,

I started keto February 1st and I want to try fasting to hopefully kickstart my weight loss. However, the keto urine sticks still show that I’m spilling a lot of ketones, which to my understanding means that I’m not yet fully fat adapted (please correct me if I’m wrong). Should I wait with the fasting until I’m no longer spilling ketones?

Thank you!

What is your current eating and supplementation regimen?

And to piggyback on @Fiorella 's questions, what kind of fasting are you looking to try?

(eat more) #4

i don’t think “spilling ketones” is an indicator of fat adaptation or not.

(Evan) #5

I’ll give you my thoughts.

For the most part I personally feel fasting shouldn’t be completed until you are fat adapted (3-4 months) into doing the keto diet. You want to give you body time to get used to using fat as it’s preferred source of energy everyday.

I didn’t start doing Intermittent fasting until at least that time frame. Again this is just my person view. I would ask what have you been eating on a daily bases. How have you been feeling as well.

While the keto sticks can be a great tool for the first month or two, as you become fat adapted you will start to see the sticks not change as much as they once did. However, if you are keeping your carbs low ( me under 20 grams per day) you are now becoming fat adapted and this is ultimately what we are after.

If you do want to fast I would certainly start with some intermittent fasting (IF). Generally, you would do about 18 hours in between meals.

I’m keeping under 20 g of carbs a day, usually eating two or three meals a day (always have breakfast and bulletproof coffee in the morning) and not having too much protein. The last couple of days I’ve been feeling more hungry than usual, which I find a bit strange.
I take multivitamin, magnesium, omega 3 fish oil, calcium and ox bile supplement (I’ve had my gall bladder removed). Does this answer your question? Or were you thinking of something else? :blush:

I was thinking of having breakfast and then fast until the next morning. So like 24h.

Thank you for your input.

A week after starting keto I hit my head and I’ve been recovering from a concussion since then and I’m still not completely well. So I haven’t really been able to feel many of the benefits that people usually mention like feeling energized and having better focus (quite the contrary, actually). But I’ve felt so much less hungry and can go much longer without eating og getting “hangry”.
I’ve been eating less than 20 g of carbs and not too much protein. Staple foods have been eggs, bacon, cheese, mayonnaise, cauliflower, heavy cream, mushrooms, butter, and low-carb bread. And bulletproof coffee :wink:

Perhaps make one change at a time? You say you have BPC and breakfast everyday. Maybe skip the BPC, and just eat breakfast? Perhaps this will force your body to seek fat from somewhere else (your body).