Keto since January 5, looking for advice for tweaking things

(Mandy) #41

Got my Keto Mojo in yesterday and tested this morning when I woke up without eating or drinking and my blood glucose was 68 and ketones were 1.7. That’s not bad…right?

(Diane) #42

That’s definitely not bad at all!

(Ron) #43

Wish I had those numbers! :drooling_face:

(Mandy) #44

What’s the range for ketones? I think I’ve read somewhere that you’re slightly in Ketosis around .5 and the higher you get, the better. But what’s the top end? 4? 5? 10?

(Mandy) #45

imagehttps://discourse-cdn-sjc1.com/ketogenicforums/uploads/default/original/3X/0/4/04863a03d9cd8c760e679c1edbb03b0e1bf53604.jpg

I just found this on one of the other threads, so i thought I’d post it here for future reference. I think 1.7 is pretty good for me.

(Mandy) #46

Fasting glucose was 91 this morning which I thought was high. I’m wondering if it’s because I used the same finger prick I used a few minutes earlier for my ketone test. I have no idea if I should make a new stick for each test or if I can just do it once and use that same finger stick. Does anyone know?

Ketones were .8 because I had some alcohol and half a piece of cake Saturday night, and i had a few extra carbs (about 30-40 net) last night because i had some halo ice cream and Keto peanut butter chocolate treats that were higher in carbs than i expected. So I Did an experiment and drank a scoop in Instaketones and tested ketones 30 minutes later. My ketones raised to 1.3 and I had a kind of surge of energy (even before I had my morning coffee or any food) so I went out and mowed and weed-eated my yard…which is huge. Anyway, that answers my question about Instaketones working.

(Mandy) #47

I’ve been on higher calories for 20 days now. I’ve stayed around the same weight and I’m pleased with that. I’m thinking about doing my first extended fast after a couple of days of really upping my fats so my cals will be around 1900-2100. I think I’ll try to find the fasting board or section I remember seeing someone mention and look at a few posts there. The key is to keep your body guessing right?

(Mandy) #48

I am so frustrated!!! I tested my ketones today after working my butt off outside and my ketones are .1! My diet is great, my cals and micros are good. I am on the verge of going crazy. I just don’t get it. I’ve been intermittent fasting, but to change things up a bit, I had a morning coffee with heavy cream and collagen this morning instead of waiting until noon. At around 1, I had a couple of scrambled eggs in butter with some cheddar cheese. Worked outside shoveling and raking gravel to fix my driveway. Came in, showered, and thought I’d check my ketones just to see what they were. Freaking .1! :rage:

(Ron) #49

Ketones are a byproduct of fat burning. Sounds like your body is utilizing your fats for fuel efficiently and not producing excess ketones. That’s a good thing.:+1:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #50

What are you testing with? And how long have you been doing Keto? Could be just fat adapted and body using ketones rather than wasting?

(Mandy) #51

Really? I thought the higher my ketone levels are, the more fat I’m using as energy. Am I looking at this wrong?

(Mandy) #52

@Anniegirl9 I’m using a keto mojo that i purchased this month. I’ve only tested myself 5-7 times, and they’ve all been in the morning at a fasted state, except for today. I’ve ranged from 1.7 (only once) down to my .1 today. Most of my tests are around .5ish.
I started keto Jan 5 of this year.
I guess I’m a bit confused. My body is supposed to be using fat as energy, right? I thought ketones were a by-product of that. Are you saying that my body can use the ketones as well? Sorry…I still have a lot to learn.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #53

Nope, you body burns ketones for energy, so higher numbers mean your wasting them.

Mine were supper high right up until a little over a week ago. They just finally took a dip down. Along with other indicators, this coincides with me becoming fat adapted.
I’m still showing moderate, but compared to the deep purple it was for 8+ straight weeks, it’s definately a dip.

So if you were mid range before and have become fat adapted, you may only show low or trace now.

Though I wouldn’t rely solely on ketone reading to determine when you become fat adapted, as the testing is often inaccurate. But if like mine it lines up with a marked increase in energy/endurance, better sleep and moods, less hunger… then it’s a good explanation.

(Mandy) #54

@Anniegirl9 So what’s the point in testing if I’m fat adapted then? I bought a meter to test my blood because I’ve read where the strips don’t register after you’re fat adapted. Does the blood test not register either?
My energy wasn’t great today, but I figured that was because I’m just getting old (42) and it was really hard manual labor. I’ve felt much better lately after increasing my electrolytes and I sleep great (but that may be due to my sleeping meds! Lol)

(LeeAnn Brooks) #55

The blood tests are supposed to be more reliable, but even that isn’t perfect.

I’m not sure if that’s the case or not with you. Just trying to look at all possibilities.

Do you think you’re fat adapted yet?

(Mandy) #56

I really think so. I felt like crap for the first month, then started feeling better, just no energy and had the urge to pass out when standing up. Got on here and got suggestions to eat more salt and calories, and drink keto aide and I feel great now. I have no hunger issues and can go for long periods of time without getting hangry any more. Eating just isn’t that big of a deal anymore.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #57

So it could still be a sign you are adapted.

What do your readings normally range?

(Mandy) #58

So the “What Levels of Ketosis is Optimal?” chart that I posted above is…what? It says 1-3 is optimal. But I’m barely a fraction of those levels.

(Ron) #59

The more you read on here you will see there is no reason to test.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #60

Honestly, I don’t really know. I know I’m above what they say is optimal. So what’s better? Lower than optimal or higher?

I guess I just don’t worry about “optimal.” I only worry about being IN ketosis. And really, for 90% of the people, as long as we’re staying under 20g net carbs, were in ketosis. And from what I understand, even low levels mean you’re in ketosis.
I made my non-Keto husband pee on a test strip just out of curiosity. He showed negative for any ketones.
You could test the accuracy of your machine and strips by testing on a friend or family member not doing Keto.