Keto shopping list

(Samster) #1

Hi again

I will be going to get my Keto shopping in today for the next week or so and wondered if anyone recommends anything I should buy.

Feel like i’m asking silly question here but are sausages and hamburgers allowed? as I have managed to find low car sausages at 0.4g of carbs per sausage also found low carb chicken sausages I do have a burger press and could make my own if that’s the best way.

Can I essentially eat anything that’s low carbs as long as I am under 20g grams of carbs per day?

thanks

I am only in my 3rd month and I eat hamburger frequently and sausage occasionally. It is my understanding that anything is game as long as you are under 20 grams. It is trial and error though for me at least because certain foods will inflame me and cause the scale to go up temporarily.

(bulkbiker) #3

Pretty much yes.

Tons of videos on youtube of people doing Keto grocery shops, gives a good idea.

Yes, essentially, you can eat anything as long as you stay under 20 grams of carbs per day.

Personally, I feel it is better to stay with fresh meat, eggs and mostly green veggies (broccoli, bok choy, cabbage, lettuce mixes, zucchini, etc.). :grinning: But check the carb count of any vegetable you want and keep your daily total under 20 grams. I even have a few tomatoes now and then, and enjoy onions and garlic a bit too.

When purchasing something processed, I have avoided anything with a long list of ingredients and avoided any and all “vegetable” oils. But when you are just starting out, it may be good to just get a feel for what is low carb and what isn’t. So, keep it simple. Canned meat can be OK, but check ingredients.

For mayonnaise, I like Sir Kinsington’s brand. For cooking I stick to butter or ghee (home made is easy), home made beef lard, coconut oil, olive oil, and avacado oil, depending on what temperature I’m going to be cooking and taste.

I use mustard too. You can find unsweetened, no sugar added ketchup.

I tend to stay away from almost all salad dressings because they use “vegetable oils” that are bad for us. But you can transition out of them over time if you need to do that.

Best of luck on your Keto journey!

(Vic) #6

Def check labels, My local kroger has Italian sausage is 5 grams of Carbs each, However I found walmart has only 2 grams then I found costco has 1 gram per link

Any Meat should be fine if you stay under 20 grams I would be more cautious with other types of processed foods

I try to stay away from any wheat products there is a wrap my wife was telling me I should try its 50 calls with 16 carbs and 11 fiber sounded good But when I went to look at the full states the number just didn’t add up 16 carbs 4 grams of protien and 1.5 of fat should = around 92 cals If I am correct

I just dont trust those type products

I always liked in keto that nothing is banned. Certain items are quite tricky of course but it’s very different from being banned from my diet because “keto says so”.

It’s individual how we eat on keto and it may change a lot as time passes.
I was low-carb before keto and I already was used to buying simple ingredients and cooking my own food, I used my own old blacklist on my own keto. I had to cut out certain items but it was more like about using the proper amounts. Still, my keto evolved a lot. I can easily do what I couldn’t back then.
I basically always eat whatever I want and well, it changed A LOT what I want… :smiley:

Sausage sounds good :slight_smile: I eat that in my strictest days as well, why not? I don’t know about the carb content in mine but it’s surely negligible. It’s proper, drier sausage from a farm I trust. It has carbs as it’s red from red pepper as every Hungarian sausage should but it’s still negligible.

Meat products with added sugar is what you should beware of. I like to think no sane people put sugar into a sausage but it’s very hard to surprise me nowadays…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

@samuel497 There are no rules to eating ketogenically, except to keep carbohydrate intake as low as you can. (On these forums, we recommend an upper limit of 20 grams a day.) The purpose is to reduce the chronically elevated insulin levels that accompany a high intake of carbohydrate.

A well-formulated ketogenic diet tends to be healthier, and not just because of ketogenesis. The healthiest food is whole, fresh, minimally-processed ingredients, but people have successfully gone keto by eating at McDonald’s. (Dr. Westman has a patient who reversed his diabetes and lost a significant amount of weight by eating there; he simply avoided the buns and the French fries.)

As far as fats are concerned, we do advise avoiding the seed oils (safflower, cotton, peanut, canola, etc.), since they are extremely high in ω-6 fatty acids, which cause systemic inflammation when eaten in quantity. The healthiest fats are butter/ghee, lard, tallow, bacon grease and the fruit oils (avocado, coconut, and olive).

Avoiding processed foods and sticking to meat, dairy, and fresh vegetables can feel more expensive at first, but two things make the cost manageable: first, as the hormones regulating appetite start to work properly again, people generally find themselves eating less and eating less frequently. Second, the health benefits can save a significant amount of money, because people need fewer doctor’s visits, so they don’t lose income from taking time off, and they aren’t paying for expensive medicines.

A simple rule of thumb is to stay away from the aisles in the middle of the supermarket, and stick to the items around the edges. These days, I primarily visit the aisles to find coffee and pork rinds (and non-food items).

Lastly, when people advise against “processed” foods we are talking primarily about snacks, breakfast cereals, instant “foods,” and the like—the sort of thing that Michael Pollan refers to as “edible food-like substances”—not about traditionally preserved meats and cheeses. Although as several commenters have posted, sugar is now finding its way into everything, so we have to be vigilant about the list of ingredients.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

Actually when you subtract the fiber it’s 4g. carbs/4g. Protein/1.5g. Fat. That’s approximately 48 calories as a rough calculation. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Vic) #10

thats interesting still not sure I should mess with it Maybe I’m wrong though

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

I don’t think wheat is a good thing for me over extended periods of time for sure. I think it’s inflammatory to my circulatory system. Another point is in KETO we focus on carb limiting, not calorie counting. We’re all so different enough that precise caloric needs are impossible to calculate. Some days more, some less. Some people digest more completely than others so some utilize more or less calories from the same foods. Develop your sense of listening to hunger signals and eating accordingly instead of saying “I’m allowed this much everyday. In my opinion this works much better and is less stressful and time consuming than full on tracking. I’ve done both now during almost two years of KETO and I prefer the natural relaxed eating once you get an idea of what’s okay for you. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bob M) #12

You do have to read labels. I really like a ham from Costco, and realize now is has 3 (or 4?) grams of carbs per 3 ounces. A bit high. I still eat it though.

On the other hand, I’ve seen some hams that are way over that, and some that are (supposedly) much lower than that. I have difficulty sometimes believing what I read, though.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

There are more like Bok Choy and pretty much any leafy green stuff is okay, like Asian or European stuff that’s not common worldwide. Avoid anything from underground except radishes of all types and be careful using onion and garlic in quantity. Avoid fruits other than berries as an occasional treat or avocados if you like them. Just buy stuff you like because you’re the one who has to eat it. There isn’t one single food that’s required or absolutely forbidden, only that you stay low enough on carbs to be in ketosis. It’s all about how much of a carb food you consume. Most foods we eat before KETO have too many so it’s best to drop them completely. It’s a lifestyle adjustment, just think of it as how you eat now because what you were doing before didn’t work out. Think more about what you can have than what you can’t. Be happy with your chosen foods.

Some sample shopping lists:

Some of the regular items I have delivered/shipped:

(Peter) #15

Whole foods, stay under your carb limit (often 20g), stay away from the processed junk. The simpler it is, the better.

(Samster) #16

Thanks for that clear reply. much appreciated.

(David ) #17

I enjoy kielbasa and andouille sausage and have it every once and a while to break up my routine. Both only have about 1g carb per serving. Having been on keto for 3 years and losing 165 lbs, I can say the key is staying below 20g carbs, eat greens, romaine, spinach, bok choy, zucchini, etc. This is where your carbs should come from.