Keto Reuben Quiche

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1

#keto #LCHF Oldest daughter just made this recipe up. A keto Reuben quiche. It has Carroway seeds so it has a little rye bread flavor. Active fermentation sauerkraut on top. Was great. No sauce. We don’t need no stinking sauce.

(Marianne) #2

That looks so good! Can you share the recipe?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #3

Okay this is approximate. She did not write any of this down. But I know the qty of most of this.

• 14 large eggs
  • 1 lb (or more) sliced pastrami
  • 1 lb (or more) of swiss cheese slices
  • salt and pepper (maybe 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp of pepper?)
  • 1 tsp caraway seeds
  • 9" x 9" casserole dish (might be 8.5 x 8.5)
  • Drained sauerkraut. We use actively fermented sauerkraut so that we get the benefits of the bacteria.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Oil the casserole dish with your favorite oil. We used EVOO.

In a bowl crack the eggs and mix with a fork till scrambled. Add salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp of caraway seeds.

Layer egg mix, cheese slices and pastrami until all is gone. We had

We had 3 egg layers and 2 with meat and cheese. Top the dish with some smaller pieces of pastrami and cheese. Sprinkle the rest of the caraway seeds on top.

Bake for at least 1 hour. I think we went 1 hr and 20 mins or more. Test quiche with a toothpick to the point it comes out dry or use thermometer and cook till ~200F. If you need to turn heat down to 325 or 300F an cook longer if the top wants to burn.

Cool a few mins before dividing into 9ths. Three cuts each side.

Top with sauerkraut and enjoy.

We had less than a pound of cheese and the egg flavor covered the tartness of the swiss. So go for at least 1 lb maybe more. More meat and cheese is hardly ever a problem so experiment.

Quiche reheats nicely in the microwave and swiss cheese on top would make this even better when reheating it.

If you make this let me know how it comes out.

(Amy) #4

I’ve been thinking about doing a reuben casserole. In fact, I just bought all the ingredients including the caraway. I hadn’t thought to make it a quiche though!! I’ll make it later this week and let you know. Thanks!

(Laurie) #5

This looks so good. And could be adapted using other meats or cheeses. (Without sauerkraut I guess.)

This is of particular interest to me because I eat eggs every day. I welcome a delicious way to cook lots of eggs in advance.

(Susan) #6

It looks very delcicious =) -thanks for sharing it with everyone.

(Laurie) #7

Well, you inspired me to make … something! I used what I had on hand:

600 grams (1 lb 5 oz) cooked ground beef
4 heaping tablespoons cooked bacon crumbles
1 lb provolone cheese slices
12 eggs, mixed with mayonnaise and water
Seasonings: onion flakes, mustard

I cooked it in 2 smallish metal pans, each maybe 7 inches square, for about 40 minutes. I might have overcooked it. The bacon crumbles made it taste good. Next time I might add some hot sauce.

Made 8 servings, at about 40 grams of protein each. Thank you, Eric. This will provide me with several days of “instant” meals.

(Susan) #8

Oh nice, that sounds very good Laurie!