Keto replacement for split pea soup

(Brad Droubay) #1

We had a ham for Christmas and I have this ham hock that I don’t know what to do with. Is there a Keto friendly split pea replacement recipe? I’m also open to new ideas on what to do with the ham hock.

(Guardian of the bacon) #2

Probably not pure keto. We’ve used sprouted lentil beans in soup before. My wife and I are both keto and neither of us had much of a BG reaction. The sprouting process seems to affect the carbohydrates and it reportedly makes the nutrients more available. We occasionally incorporate sprouted beans into our diet with no ill effect. We do this rarely and in small quantity.

We rinse frequently when sprouting.

(Meeping up the Science!) #3

Can cook it with greens too :slight_smile:

(Keto Troll) #4

I love butternut squash soup. You could roast it then add it to some onion and garlic plus stock and the ham bone plus the usual slices and veggies you’d use in split pea. It won’t taste exactly the same but the squash is neutral enough that it will pick up the smoky ham flavor. I always strain my butternut squash soup and add cream at the end. It’s still kinda carby but better than split pea and ok for an occasional treat.