Keto recipes for kids

Hi all,
I looking for advice for starting keto with young kids. Do any of you have any good resources for this?(websites, youtube, podcasts, books etc)
Especially useful would be recipes keto candies, desserts, cake and bread. Ideally keto not just low carb as this is for a medical condition that is being treated with a strict keto diet.
Many thanks in advance - very grateful for any help.

(Bob M) #2

There are some fat bomb books that will be helpful, or websites. Like these:

Another set:

Bread is a much more difficult subject. It’s very difficult to make a keto bread. Most of the low carb breads also have wheat gluten, which is a problem for a lot of us, like me.

This area is also tough because I’m not sure almond flour is the best thing to eat (too many anti-nutrients). If I was doing this, I’d look for more coconut flour, but there are dramatic differences between these flours in the way they have to be used.

(Geoffrey) #3

I would personally steer them away from sweets. Makes no sense to me to take them down that path of addiction but to each their own I suppose.
Definitely take a look at the carni bread recipes and check out some chaffle recipes. There are a number of variations.
I’m presently make some right now.

(Robin) #4

I’ve never looked into keto sweets. They would just make me want more sweets. But there are recipes out there. Just be really careful counting those total carbs.

Good luck.

(Geoffrey) #5

For desserts I’ll add this, I make a homemade yogurt out of cream that has no sweetener that is a very good dessert. Bella has a egg pudding similar to flan. I haven’t tried it but I hear good things about it. Then there’s Dr. Kiltz’s ice cream.

Oh ice cream is so easy, I strongly prefer the keto one and even my high-carber SO eats it (only with cake, IDK why he can’t eat it alone. keto cake, of course but walnut tastes better than flour…).
Sweets are very easy on keto (not all kind but most… after one finds or makes the recipe…), bread is basically impossible but it depends on someone’s taste and sensitivity to the texture and taste of bread. But if one heavily depends on gluten, the result may be satisfying. Still not like a wheat bread but even wheat breads are very different so it is very much about someone’s tastes.

There are many keto blogs with tons of baked goods, they nearly always use almond flour though so I ignore them all and make my own recipes. But if one is willing to use that ingredient, I imagine it works well as it has a very mild, neutral taste unlike most low-carb flours, I usually had to mix various ones but if I bake something very eggy or with some strong tasting ingredient (like cocoa), it gets way easier. Bread is mostly flour so it’s not so easy and won’t be the same. Not like it’s necessarily a problem…

(Bob M) #7

Germany might be different, but where I live, kids are inundated with garbage food. Snacks all the time. If there’s any type of event, you’ll be very lucky to get fruit, and that will be – by far – the most nutritious item they have. No meat.

Everything involves sweets. Or bread. Or bagels. Everything.

So, if you want your kid to be able to eat something similar to what the other kids are having, you’re going to have to make something.

My wife and I make “dessert” at times, and the kids don’t like them. I have chocolate mousse at home (100% chocolate, fake sugar, salt, coconut oil, coconut milk, I add some cacao), my wife makes Maria Emmerich’s puddings all the time (made from whole eggs or egg whites, high protein), cloud “donuts” (high protein “bread” made of egg whites with chocolate on top). My kids won’t eat any of it.

Thank you all for the great help so far, you guys are wonderful. Ill be sure to pass on all the info. Im sure it will be very gratefully received.

Hi Bob,
You put two links for fat bombs. I think they are both the same. DO you still have the other link?
Thanks

Hi Geoffrey, thanks for the recommendations. I looked them up and they both look amazing. Im not even really that into desserts and they look so nice Im even going to make them myself! Really easy too so that will be a great help for the family.

Hi Shintia, thanks for all the tips. Youre right about the ice cream - I had no idea it would be that easy - I think Im going to make some myself.

Hi Bob,
Germany is a dream compared to the USA for food quality. The only downside a massive part of their culture is bread and cake. Coffee and cake happens almost daily between 15-16:30 and is the classic time for sitting down with friends and family. Breakfast and evening meal is bread - they even call the evening meal Abendbrot - Evening Bread! The bread and cake are top quality and handmade with only the best ingredients, but thats still no good if you cant do carbs! So any alternatives for these things for the family will be really important so they are not isolated from the eating culture. Not eating bread or cake here is like not eating rice in Thailand. People often ask me “what do you eat then?”!!!

Thanks for the dessert recipes. I had heard of Maria Emmerich but never looked her up. Her stuff looks delicious.

(Geoffrey) #13

I lived in Germany off and on for five years. In fact I’m 75% German. I love Germany and I really miss the food. It’s so good. The best I can get is to make my own liverwurst and occasionally I can find some decent sausages but it just isn’t the same.