Keto “ratio” yogurt

(Bob M) #16

The issue with that stuff is that it uses avocado (high PUFA) oil. Why?

Here’s fage 5% Greek yogurt:

1/3 more saturated fat, which is what you want. You want the 11 grams total and 8 g saturated fat and NOT the 15 g total, 6 g saturated fat, as it’s unclear how much of that other 9 g is PUFAs. Granted, avocado oil is about 12% PUFA, but why replace good saturated fat with PUFAs?

I live in Hungary. Sour cream is very important in Hungarian kitchen and I doubt we have those low-fat abominations as it’s sour-cream, not even yogurt… We have 0.1% “milk” (I refuse to consider it milk but never tried it) but I only saw sour cream with 12%, 20% or (rarely) 25% fat. The first 2 are so common you should find them in the tiniest village shops. My SO’s mom always buy the 12% one for some strange reason (her diet is fatty so I don’t understand) so I taste it sometimes and it’s quite bad, I wouldn’t want it for free but I can’t imagine certain soups without it and it’s BAD just too watery so yeah, I use that. 20% is another world, creamy (usually, not all brands), richer, very nice.

I have very vague memories of normal ice cream though I had it a few time at my SO’s mom, again :slight_smile: Some are very bad indeed, close to flavored sugary frozen water. She has better taste so that happened once but when I look at ice cream labels, I see that it not even remotely follow my taste and I talk only about the macros…
It seems normal ice cream has whey and skim milk (and 7% fat, 23-30% sugar and 2.5-3.6% protein). Sometimes fatty milk powder is present (14% fat in the ice cream)! And I found cream in one (11% fat), I’ve just looked at about 6 ice cream.
I have a bit more than 20% fat in my own ice cream but only because I don’t use added fat if possible (I too easily overeat fat without that. especially if I use ice cream) and I pour my own chocolate (63% fat, the added fat is there but I use a little amount and chocolate is unavoidable if I eat ice cream :D) on top anyway… That chocolate could partially salvage better-tasting normal ice cream if I would blatantly ignore all the 4 different sugars among the ingredients…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

Don’t; it’s ghastly. We call it “skim milk” over here in the U.S.

Yeah, it can’t be good, it was obvious to me. I always went for the fattiest dairy possible and even as a kid, 2.8% milk was an option.
I thought skim milk is the 1.5% one, it barely has fat (milk needs SOME fat even if someone isn’t a high-fat dairy lover)… It’s not so good but drinkable in a pinch.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

In the U.S., “skim” legally means 1% millkfat. (A lot of food labeling in the U.S. is defined by government regulation, to make it standard across the nation.) It’s ghastly grey-coloured water, and I won’t drink it, even if that’s all there is to drink. The lowest amount of fat in milk that I can tolerate is 2%. Whole milk is 3% milkfat.

There are similar percentages for defining “light” cream, “heavy” cream, and what we call “half and half” (which, in theory, is supposed to be half cream, half whole milk). British creams contain slightly more fat, and there is also the lovely category of “double” cream, which is like U.S. heavy cream, only much more so.

(For those who might enjoy the story, one of the American consumer magazines published a hilarious article, twenty or thirty years ago, describing the terms for labelling types of cheese, as defined by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. They ran from plain “cheese”—the natural, basic product—all the way to something called “pasteurized process cheese food spread”—which comes in a spray can. Each descriptor means something specific, and the more descriptors, the less resemblance the product bears to the real thing. The article was hilarious, as I mentioned, but at the same time it was horrifying.)

The cuisine of nearly every European country east of Germany makes me think of sour cream. While I live in Canada and my grandmother is scared of fat, I imagine someone over there bringing low-fat sour cream to their grandmother’s house and her saying something like “Why did you buy this? This isn’t for eating, no good!” :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Here in Canada we call 3.25% milk “homo milk”, and yes, you can buy it in bags. :wink: I finally got my dad to stop buying 2% (the norm here), and he finds a significant difference between 2% and 3.25%. He chugs it right out of the bag now :stuck_out_tongue:

…It’s literally gray? :nauseated_face:
I wonder what happens during the processing to make it turn gray. Even the 0% rubbish I used to drink here was white, though very watery.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

Yes, to my eyes, it looks like a very pale grey, especially when poured on cereal (which I no longer eat, of course, but still). I loathe skim milk almost as much as I loathe beets and okra. :face_vomiting:

(Allie) #23

Here too @PaulL
It’s like cloudy water… work use it, UHT version. Vile. Even if I used milk I wouldn’t use that. Take my own heavy cream in.

On my grandparents farm, when they separated the milk, they kept the beautiful ivory cream and gave the skimmed milk to the pigs to fatten (because of the sugar) for market. Apparently the pigs would fight for it.
I’ve always considered skimmed milk and fat free as “pig food”. Not fit for human consumption.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

Love it! :grin::bacon:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #26

Depending on brand of whipping cream, total carbs may be a little more, but still less than 4/100grams.

(Laurie) #27

Yes, skim milk is gray and tastes horrible. As children, we were forced to have skim milk because skim milk powder was cheap. Our father was very strict and we had to eat everything we were given. But we “spilled” our skim milk so often that they got tired of beating us up for it, and stopped serving it.

(Vladaar Malane) #28

Speaking of labels fooling… I was showed this bread on MFP other day, and looked at the label and don’t see how bread with ingredients of wheat and soy is low carb. Company is in Arizona called chompies.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

But it’s only 5 g per slice! How could that not be keto? (Never mind the fact that two sandwiches would be your carb allowance for the day, if you follow Dr. Westman and count total carbs.)

Notice that the fibre is modified wheat starch (i.e., regular starch processed into resistant starch as a fibre substitute), and the other ingredients are soy flour, gluten, wheat flour, soybean oil, and cultured wheat. This is bread? I notice that the nutrition label shows that each slice contains 0.99999999999 g of sugar, as well.

(Emily Zanelli) #30

Hey Boston too it tastes great

(Emily Zanelli) #31

Boston Boston? Or near Boston? I actually live between Boston and Plymouth. And in East BF they don’t carry much for keto. Like I still can’t find a decent cake flour and I’ve made my own mixes, but I can’t find Oat Fiber either. I have one huge shelf and its nothing but substitutes. But close not perfect ones. Go figure. I dunno why Splenda jumped in the game of baking sweeteners. I used to use it till stevia was popular like 8 years ago. Splenda is not exactly great. I don’t want to put even a packet in my tea or coffee. Too sweet. So lets make bigger bags of the sh$t and mess that up too. I love baking if you can’t tell. I miss the lazy keto days… but that was because my ex was lazy and didn’t like food shopping. Tough. Boooooot.

Haha, Boston Boston :grin: (West Roxbury). I pretty much live both here and Virginia. Here right now, next week another story lol. Definitely a food desert for Keto stuff. So far Stop n Shop & Walmart has had the most stuff. The best thing I can’t get when here is Schmidts 647 bread… so I travel with it cuz I’m an idiot like that.

(Dave Weil) #33

Here’s a caveat for the Ratio Keto brand : normally in my household we don’t have an expiration date for yogurt kept in our fridge, because it’s a fermented food, and if it smells and tastes OK, it’s safe by our standards. But our experience with the Ratio is that if it’s a couple of weeks past the sell-by date, it gives us EXPLOSIVE FLATULENCE. It’s got to be something to do with certain bad bacterial overgrowth, perhaps fed by the sucralose. There is no detectable change in flavor ! But, BEWARE !!

(B Creighton) #34

It is technically keto. I don’t know where the sugar is coming from - maybe lactose?
Like Paul, this would not be on my personal buy list - mostly because of the sucralose. Each Sucralose molecule contains 3 chlorine atoms. When gut bacteria try to eat it, the chlorine is released, and kills beneficial gut bacteria.
I find goat yogurt to be less inflammatory and more ketogenic since it has about twice the MCTs as cow dairy.

Good to know. Hey - welcome to the forum! Don’t count on a reply from OP, because this is a very old thread.

(Robin) #35

This is one of those wild cards. Sure, you can fit it into your carb allowance and it probably tastes pretty good. I personally have to avoid things like that because my inner carb addict gets stimulated by the sweetness and pudding-like texture, and I immediately start calculating how many I can have in a day, without going over. Keto ice cream was the worst.
I had to walk away from “Keto” labeled foods.