Keto Rash Scalp

I first started keto in January of this year. After a couple weeks on It, I started to get very itchy everywhere, and would create bright red bumpy rashes everywhere (arm, legs, stomach, scalp). Went to the doctor about it 3 times and got different medications as they couldn’t figure out what was causing it. I had mentioned keto rash, and she just shrugged that off. I ended up stopping keto for about a month or So, and my rashes went away and I wasn’t itchy. On the back of my scalp, the bumps were still there but they went down and weren’t as itchy. I have started keto again about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Yesterday my whole body was itchy again and started to get rashes again. However by body is less itchy today. My scalp is 10 times worse than it was before. I have a the same bumps along the back of my hairline, and also have a rash above my ear in my hairline. Behind my ear is another rash that is very rough and scaly. It has little yellow bumps on It, that I can’t help but pick them off because it feels like they are sticking out. It also feels somewhat wet on that rash, as if there was pus or something on it. Any insight would help. It seems like I have tried everything. 4 different medications from the doctor. I’m worried the only thing I can do is to stop doing keto and go back to eating carbs. Thanks!

What region do you live in @Stillframe? Tea Tree oil has great healing properties and some other people have seen real benefits in using it. Check out this post on Keto Rash.

Canada. Thanks! I will give that a read.

Maybe this information on diet doctor website will help?

Hello Stillframe,

Thanks for your posting. I started keto diet on 11/30/2017 and towrads the end of December started to have ‘rash’ that you are describing. More like bumps and not the flat rash pictured on other keto rash thread…I have these bumps behind the neck area up to base of scale and temporal areas. They are very itchy and can get inflammed off and on. Went to see my doc and said that it is likely foliculitis so they started me on topical antibiotics. Last night, i detected some mild tenderness behind my left ear–doesn’t feel like a ear infection, but I’m scheduled to see my doctor tomorrow. I have a feeling they’ll start me on oral antibiotics.
I’ll try the trader joes Tee tree oil shampoo.

So, how did you manage your ‘rash/bumps’? Did you go off keto completely? I feel so good on ketogenic diet and would be sad to go off of it due to this skin condition… :frowning:

Thanks!

(Fernando Urias) #6

Minute 23:30 has the apple cider vinegar and berries protocol.

Does anyone know if apple cider vinegar in the tablet/capsule form will do the same thing? I’m really struggling to drink it - even diluted quite heavily (currently have 2TB diluted in about 18oz and it’s still really too strong for me. :frowning_face: )

(Fernando Urias) #8

I bought this over the counter medicine at HEB and it worked after using it for a few days:

PROSACEA

(Bunny) #9

Oh yes the dreaded keto rash so many theories about the cause.

It could be B-vitamin thing as they get flushed from the body way too fast to do you any good especially the water soluble ones when first starting a ketogenic diet or even later in years.

I think the best thing to do is increase your carbohydrate intake in increments to see if that helps so that you can retain the vitamins longer and they are not being completely flushed out every time you urinate.

If your doing 20 grams of carbohydrates jump to 30, if that don’t work jump to 50 and so on.

In myself that dreaded keto rash would get me if I fasted too long between meals.

Apple cider vinegar helps you retain potassium so I can see how the berry thing can work with that.

(Rob) #10

I started what was basically a keto diet maybe 3 weeks ago, but did eat some carbs at night once in a while. Probably nothing more than 30g. This past Sunday I ate ice cream before bed, which was well above 30g. Probably 80-100g. More. In the morning, the back of my scalp near the hairline was itchy. When I got home from work and showered, I saw that I had a rash in several different spots. On my forehead and scalp, spots on my chest, on my hands and on my legs and feet. The next day it had spread, so I went to the doctor and they just went the “it’s allergy” way and didn’t even know what keto was. Let alone keto rash. Scripted me prednisone and antihistamines. I tried the antihistamines and they did zilch so I’m not risking the side effects with the steroids when I’m fairly certain this is keto rash, however an atypical case because it’s virtually all over my body. I have these networks of dense rash spots, and then red spots almost everywhere in between. And it’s not really symmetrical. But the dense spots look like keto rash as I see in photos, and nothing else except eczema which I don’t have.
I gave it up and ordered a pizza last night. Got a banh mi today for lunch. I can’t deal with this crap, even though I dropped 5kg in the short time I did the diet.