Keto puff pastry type goodies... is it possible?

(Brian) #1

I saw a video on Facebook that showed one of the San Francisco crazes right now, Mr. Holmes’ Bakery. Evidently, they put out some pretty interesting creations one of which is the “Cruffin”.

One of my FB friends (actually, my sister-in-law) was asking me if that was even possible in keto? I have no idea.

I’ve made some pretty good muffins, cakes, cheesecakes, pies, fruit toppings, creams and icings. But puff pastry? Nope, at least not yet.

Anybody know if something that light and fluffy and airy is even possible with keto ingredients? I know we can do some pretty incredible things with alternate ingredients but this one, I just don’t know. It’s a very tall order.

I used to do a fried “dough” which was very close taste wise as the real thing, just without the slight chew. It was buttery light and airy but it wouldn’t have held together if you tried to use it like a puff pastry or anything.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #3

I suppose it’d be possible but would it taste good?

Making cloud bread in rounds would be about the best idea I have. But it’s not gonna produce anything like a laminated dough would. If you’ve ever seen real puff (not rough puff) made from scratch, I just don’t think there’s a keto ingredient that will set up and fold again and again like that without leaking the butter out rather than laminating.

(Brian) #4

It’s interesting you mention “possible but would it taste good?” LeCheffre.

I went and listened to several of the videos on YouTube about the Cruffin. It was kind of a novelty but the comments didn’t seem to suggest that the flavors were extraordinarily special.

Mostly, it was a curiosity, wondering if it could be done keto.

To be honest, we’ve been kinda getting away from the idea of having goodies or desserts with most meals. I do love making them and certainly enjoy eating them. But we’re getting more to the point where they’re more for something special, maybe for the weekend, not so much everyday. And that’s probably a good thing. I still like things sweet when they’re supposed to be sweet, that hasn’t diminished for me like it has for some… maybe a little, but not too dramatically. But hey, I’ll call that at least a step in the right direction.

Thanks for the comments!