Keto Protein Powder

(Robert Dockstader) #1

Hey Guys!!! So I would like to add a protein shake into the mix for my workouts. I have been looking online and at vitamin world and I am just confused. Some say sugar in the when they are Keto specific. I am doing so well I don’t want to screw myself up.

Can anyone suggest a protein powder with no sugar and tastes somewhat good as to not to have to gag it down :joy:

(Mike W.) #2

What are you hoping to achieve with the shake? I find myself having to limit protein…

I use the Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder. Lots of flavors. I’ve used Dutch Chocolate, Cookies and Cream, Banana, and unflavored (as a flour for baked goods like bread and mini-cakes). I usually add it to unsweetened coconut milk when I drink it as a shake.

I’ve usually gotten it from Amazon, using their Subscribe & Save program, with a 15% discount (on 5 or more items in a given month).

(Robert Dockstader) #4

I am starting to do more strength training so for muscle recovery as to not lose it. Meal replacement…

(Mike W.) #5

Why not just eat real food ?

(Robert Dockstader) #6

What would you recommend after a lifting work out as far as “real food”?

(Mike W.) #7

Steak, chicken thighs, pork chop.

(Robert Dockstader) #8

Ok, I didn’t realize that was the best recovery method to use after a lifting workout. Thanks for the info

(Heather Meyer) #9

Well… ive tried many protein powders but can say that I have hated almost all of them. The only nutritional shake i thought tasted half decent was Ketologie which you can find on amazon
…however it is so low in protein ir doesnt qualify as a protein shake so it wont help you inless you plan on adding in stuff to it.

Syntrax Nectar was probably the best protein shake ive had taste wise… But i find that i dont like the “whey” taste of the creamy flavours so i stick to the juice flavours. They mix up easily and look like juice. Ive tried the tropical punch which wasnt bad…

Not sure if this helps you at all… but if you are slightly intolerant to whey, try whey isolate.
I can’t use normal powder, but I find the isolate mixes better, tastes nicer and doesn’t effect my stomach.
Plus it has about 20% more protein and less sugar.
The one I use in the UK is from myprotein. It has 0.8g of sugar per serving. But that’s the lowest carb version I can find.

You could go unflavoured, but man, its horrible.

(Alan) #12

I’ve only been going with Keto now for about a month, and I bought a bunch of protein powder thinking it would be good to include. However, I’ve found that limiting my protein to “moderate” is the challenge for me. I seem to end the day at about 15g of carbs, but seem to always exceed my protein target every day. What do you see is the benefit of protein powder, unless you are vegan/vegetarian? Just curious.

It’s plain impossible for me longer term (like, for 2 days straight). Good thing I don’t see why I should limit my protein, my body loves it high. I don’t use protein powder though, I overdo it without that any day, thank you very much… I do try to keep my protein as l;ow as comfortably possible but that’s still high :smiley:
Now I suppose my body needs way more than one would think. Who knows?

While I wouldn’t need protein powder even as a vegetarian and probably as a vegan but I never was plant-based for more than 5 days… I can understand some people get satiated too easily on keto or prefer quite fatty food so they reach the proper energy intake and satiation before their protein intake would be good enough.
I am very thankful I am not one of them as most protein powders are awful tasting due to the used sweetener. I prefer normal food anyway. Even if I focus on super fatty fat for some reason one day, I can find some lean protein to balance things out. Our protein need isn’t so huge, it seems so easy to get it…

(Robin) #14

HI Alan’s and welcome. When I first began keto, I tried to stay within a certain percentage for protein, fat, carbs. I eventually just paid attention to my total carbs. I think the rest will fluctuate. Plus many of us are very protein heavy in our food, and thrive.
You got this.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

First, welcome to the forums!

Protein intake is currently under dispute in the ketogenic diet community. There are opinions from experts advising the bare minimum of protein intake all the way to, as one doctor puts it, “Too much protein isn’t a thing.”

What we do know is that we have more to learn. A lot of these recommendations are more in the nature of best guesses, so far as I can tell, than actually based in solid data.

What forum members generally find effective is to treat protein recommendations as more in the nature of a minimum, rather than a specific target. The body has no way to store amino acids over a certain minimal amount, so excess protein is likely to be wasted, by one means or another. Also, the data show that people’s protein needs are quite individual, with some people needing more than the average and some needing less.

Some bits of advice, if you’ll forgive me: First, don’t worry about the outdated idea that “protein turns to sugar” in the body. While it is true that some of the amino acids we consume get turned into glucose, that process is much better regulated than was formerly believed. Second is to prioritise protein, but not to worry about it. You may feel better with getting more protein than the recommendations; you might also feel better getting less. Do what works best for you. And lastly, your protein intake should come mostly, or even wholly, from whole, real food. That way it is most likely to benefit your body, and it will be hard to get too much. (Although it is possible, so if you start to smell of ammonia, cut back a bit!)

I go with a protein isolate. It is a little more expensive but you get more protein, less carbs and a higher %age of protein per scoop. I also find that regular protein powder makes me fart a lot.

There is an ongoing debate about how much protein. Some say minimum, some say a lot.
Personally, I am going with the theory that you don’t need a lot of protein if you are sendentry, but if you are weight training you should be in the higher band of protein intake.

Many will suggest eating real food. Which is ideal, but may not be convenient for you.
I like to have a protein shake after a workout as it is easy. I will often make a shake for while I am driving, or to take out.

I also like to keep fats and protein ballenced, so I add some double cream (heavy cream) to my shakes. It’s up to you how much, but I work it out so a shake is 25g protein, 25g fat.

Don’t try to use coconut oil. I’ve tried. It solidifies and is a bugger to clean up.

For me, keto is not just a weight loss diet. I am loosing weight, but I also want to become fitted and leaner. Many people will only give advice about loosing weight. So you’ll have to work out what’s right for you.
I’m not as knowledgeable on keto as a lot of the guys here, but this is working well for me.

(Alan) #17

Thank you for the comments and advice. I’m intentionally holding my proteins back (to the minimum required to maintain muscle) to reduce calories for weight loss. Once I get to my goal weight, my plan is to allow myself to increase protein to the level that my calories match my needs for maintaining weight versus gain. Let me know if you see flaws in this thought.

(Alan) #18

That’s kind of what I am intending to do once I reach my goal weight. Only one month in, and I’m already 40% there! Thanks for the feedback and advice.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

I’m not sure it’s a wise strategy to promote muscle loss in order to lose weight. What most people want to lose is not lean mass, but fat mass, and for most of us, losing fat is about keeping carbohydrate low, not protein.

Under normal circumstances, the amino acids from dietary protein are not used to provide energy to the body, but are rather used for structural purposes, such as replacing old proteins that have reached the end of their lifespan, building new muscle, and strengthening bone. For energy, the body relies on fat and glucose, the latter of which tends to provoke an insulin response.

Given that insulin is the primary fat-storage hormone, it makes a good strategy to cut carbohydrate intake, so that fatty acids can leave adipose tissue and be metabolised. Fat, on the other hand, causes almost no insulin response at all, only the bare minimum needed for survival, so eating fat in the diet paradoxically also allows the body to shed fat.

Within certain broad parameters, the body adjusts to the amount of energy we give it, slowing or increasing the metabolic rate as necessary. So eating enough fat to keep the body satisfied allows the body to metabolise both the fat we eat and some of the excess stored fat. In fact, one researcher has data showing that fatty-acid metabolism actually increases on a low-carb/ketogenic diet when fat is eaten to satiety.

It was quite odd to me as well but as I didn’t seem to give a wise answer, I waited for someone else :smiley:

Besides those things, I am sure protein helps many of us to eat less calories… Good protein sources are pretty good at those things. We need a bunch of fat too but I heard about quite a few people that lower protein and higher fat isn’t that satiating. It’s individual and depends on the items and other factors but there is a pretty good chance that one doesn’t eat too much when focusing on some good protein… I can’t even eat way insanely high protein, I get enough at some point. But if I am liberal with fat, that doesn’t always end well.

I definitely wouldn’t worry about eating too much protein unless I am sure it’s a bad attitude and results in problems. (Even so, maybe the problem lies at bad timing or food choices, not protein but maybe protein IS a problem for some people. If I eat overly fatty meat, I surely get problem with high protein as it means even higher fat but not with leaner cuts.)

(B Creighton) #21

I’m with Paul on this. I did keto this last winter, and tried to maximize my protein. My problem was eating enough protein to gain muscle. I tried not to cut calories at all. I just ate what natural fats came with the proteins that I ate, and limited the carbs, although I did make a fat bomb out of virgin coconut oil. I found the carbs were the main limiting factor to fat loss - not protein. I did not want to do traditional low calorie dieting, because I felt it could lead to muscle loss, and I have always found it difficult to gain muscle. I was trying to gain muscle while losing fat, which is what led me to keto.

I did not worry about overall weight too much. In fact when I finished keto I gained about 8 pounds right back(glycogen and water weight), and ended up only about 3 pounds where I had started from, but I had lost two inches around the waist. However, by staying low carb, I continued to lose another 18 pounds and 2 inches in the waist and elsewhere. I reached my goal waist size when I wasn’t even trying! The thing is when I was doing keto, I was lifting, and obviously gained about 10-12 lbs of muscle. I was very pleased with my result, even though I totally did not focus on weight. Don’t be scared of protein - I don’t think it is going to slow your fat loss significantly, but if you gain muscle, it may increase your fat loss. That was my thinking anyway.

I see protein powder as easily digestible, but of course that can depend on the source. I used it right after working out with the idea of quickly pushing amino acids into the muscles to encourage protein synthesis. I also used the protein powder as a palatable way to get creatine in there. I added avocado for improved texture and palatability. I typically used Orgain protein powder with some carbs, but began adding whey powder or leucine, and my results seemed to improve. I also found it at least somewhat tasty. Immediately after the smoothie, I would eat dinner starting with a lean meat or sometimes a fatty fish such as salmon or sardines.