Keto pets ~ anyone have one?

(Cathy) #162

I like my vet but she is very against raw feeding and has tried scare tactics with me. Vets are no different than doctors in they don’t question what they learned in training. I have chosen to continue with her but not to discuss diet. Your vet displayed a real lack of knowledge by questioning that ‘peas have carbs’. I would have been embarrassed for that person.

(Athena) #163

Ziggy’s blood work came back normal, so that’s good. I’m thinking that now that he’s eating a more appropriate diet, maybe he’s finally drinking an appropriate amount of water. Before this he never drank any water on his own and we would add water to his kibble just to get him to drink some.

(Cathy) #164

Well that is good news! You now can rest easy and enjoy your Ziggy!

(Michelle) #165

Happy to say that I’ve switched my dog to LCHF!! He’s not completely Keto, but he’s very near. I switched to completely raw food from a great supplier (mypetcarnivore.com). I give him a variety of meats, bones, offal, and compliment it with broccoli, coconut oil, cheeses, grass fed butter, and sometimes he’ll get blueberries. Here are things I’ve noticed since getting him off commercially prepared food:

• his coat is so soft
  • he’s not shedding nearly as much
  • he’s peppy and playful
  • his “output” is so little - only goes once a day (as opposed to 3x a day with kibble)
  • his stool is always firm

I do think this was the best thing I could do for my dog - getting him off kibble and now going low carb.

(Lorena Zorrilla ) #166

One of my Belgian Shepards has convulsions at night. I am thinking her blood sugar may be dropping while sleeping. She is with anticonvulsant meds but I think the real cause is not solved.
Maybe a ketodiet would be a better option for her as has no carbs.
Let me know how you do it.

(Jack Brien) #167

Dogs don’t really do ‘keto’, it’s more of a human thing. The equivalent is a raw food diet aka barf or species appropriate

(Cathy) #168

Jack, this discussion has come up in this thread and it is true that keto in dogs is a bit more difficult but not impossible. I would refer you to the work of ketopetsanctuary who are treating cancer with canine keto.

My goal is not necessarily ketosis for my dog but rather a keto ‘type’ diet which is biologically appropriate. That is raw meat, bone, organ meat, fats, eggs, and a bunch of other wholesome foods. It does resemble a keto diet and most dogs will be producing ketones albeit a low level.

(KB Keto) #169

So I dont know if anyone else mentioned this… it’s a lost chain of posts that I skimmed.

I’ve done some research on dogs and cats and keto and found that while the intention is great, they dont do as well on it as humans. Dogs and cats do much better on a higher protein diet with moderate fat and low carbs whereas humans do better on a higher fat, moderate protein and low carb diet. Slight difference, but its significant. Cats in particular do not handle large quantities of fat for a long time well. Dogs are similar, but can do a little higher fat.

I recommend fatty cuts of meat and organ meat tp cats and dogs but limiting the addition of extra fats on top of that. Coconut oil for pets is better applied to skin issues that eaten. Dairy is not good for either (despite the fact that they love it) Other items can be added to bulk the food (some light greenery, etc) but arent necessary, especially if feeding them organ meats.

My 2 Cents.

(Jack Brien) #170

Exactly my point

(Cathy) #171

It is great that you have done some research. I wonder if you would be kind enough to post some links? Always looking to learn!

(Cathy) #172

What about bone? Your recommendations don’t mention this essential part of raw feeding?

(Cathy) #173

Just wondering if anyone who is raw feeding includes bone broth? I have been reading on another group that it is a good thing to do but wonder about the fact that it is clearly a cooked food. What do you think?

(Jodi) #174

I feed some of my animals raw, no bone broth. They are eating the bone, so don’t really understand why they would need bone broth also?

(Cathy) #175

I guess the idea of bone broth is to help heal or aid digestion in the same way it does humans. Hopefully heal or aid the gut. Not sure if the ‘translation’ is appropriate.

(Jodi) #176

My point is that I don’t understand the reasoning…are there nutrients not there unless cooked? If feeding more along the lines of the whole prey model, there should be all the nutrients in the food, thus taking care of any healing. Healthy animals should not need “aid” for digestion.

I guess if you pet is really sick, maybe it could possibly help, but it kind of goes against “raw fed” as you stated.

None of the information I’ve read has ever indicated it as a need, but I’m sure I’ve not read everything lol. I tend to think it is a trend now based on the popularity of broth right now.

(Cathy) #177

I had not considered that the actual bone and other connective tissue is likely better than any bone broth. Very good point.

I did make a batch and am freezing it. I will save it for those times (if they occur) when ‘easy’ digestive food is needed. My puppy consumed some twine type material from a toy and had some ‘issues’. The vet wanted her on a cooked bland diet for a few days. I complied but thought bone broth might have been good for her.

(CharleyD) #178

Gosh, with everyone moving to raw I feel like a heretic still buying the kibble :money_mouth_face:

After reading the dietdoctor article on kitty diabetes, I switched our cat and shih Tzu puppy to Purina Beyond, where it shows grain-free and meat as first ingredient.

The puppy has spontaneously gone to OMAD even with food still in his bowl. it seems pretty satisfying. It’s a little more expensive but they seem happy with less, ie not seem to be craving food all the time, and love to engage in your typical macho slug-fests.

(KB) #179

My 17 mo old Aussie Doodle was recently diagnosed with osteosarcoma on his L proximal humerus and has had one round of chemo. I started him on a keto diet with the help of the folks at @ketopetsanctuary. His meal is raw meat/fat/veg The most difficult party is getting him to eat. His appetite is pretty nonexistent no matter what I attempt to feed. Also trying CBD oil. Him being in fasted mode will surely put him into ketosis…testing ketones is impossible but I think I will have the oncologist test them when he goes in for bloodwork on Monday. Anyone else using keto in their k-9’s cancer fighting protocol?

(Cathy) #180

So sorry that you and your sweet dog are going through this but I think ketopetsancuary is a wonderful and valuable resource. Sending you good vibes for a great outcome.

(KB) #181

Thank you​:heart::heart::heart: