Keto pets ~ anyone have one?

(Nick) #122

Ask anyone who claims that to name these essential exogenous carbohydrates.

(Suzanne Barton) #123

Lol good idea!
Answer: ā€¦blank stareā€¦ā€œumā€¦wellā€¦ā€.
Lol

(David) #124

Thatā€™s a great resource. As the author of the list says, the dog foods she lists are primarily available in the USA only. I am going to look into changing Charlie to raw food. I think it will only be a little more expensive than Origen which is about $60-$70 per month equivalent (rough estimate) . This had been a really helpful thread. After all this, Charlie will probably be eating more healthily than me!

(James storie) #125

I used to drive for tyson. They had an animal food factory and the meat we delivered there was deemed not suitable for human consumption. It was just chicken that was starting to go bad. Sure didnā€™t smell very nice!

(What The Fast?!) #126

DOODLE!!! Itā€™s a doodle!

(Linda) #127

Yep, Iā€™ve got 2 of them! Hereā€™s the other one. This is Nikki and she is 11.

(Cathy) #128

I couldnā€™t come here and tell the tale of my poor wee Maddie until now. She died very suddenly of an undetermined illness on July 10th. My heart is broken. She was such a big force in my life and losing her has been really, really hard.

Somehow fate has intervened and I got the opportunity to adopt a rescue pup. She is currently just 3 months old. A terrier mix with obvious Jack Russel and maybe lhaso apso. Her mother came into the shelter pregnant. I have had her for 2.5 wks. now and switched her to raw within 2 days. She appears to be doing very well.

(Jess Lai) #129

Iā€™m so sorry for your loss, terri.
My golden retriever has just been diagnosed to have Soft tissue Sarcoma yesterday. And we would never put her thru surgery since she is already 12yr old even if she is in perfect health. so we started straight away with the keto diet after talking to a friend who introduce us to this for cancer dogs. she is currently on a strict diet of meat only, as we need to cut out all the sugar since cancer cells feed on glucose.

I wonder what ration did you give to Maile? as we are a bit stuck about the fat/protein proportion.

it would be great if you could give us some advice on that.

thanks in advance.
Jess

(Terri ) #130

Jessā€¦ so very sorryā€¦ I know the pain! For Maile we put her on a diet of real foodā€¦ veggies protein fat and omega 3 and some other supplements. This link though may provide more info and be helpful for an actual therapeutic keto approach. Great work they are doing there! Iā€™m traveling and if I find some additional links I will forward then! Wishing you the bestā€¦ :heart: Terri

http://www.ketopetsanctuary.com/

(Jess Lai) #131

thanks so much. have a great time on the road.
much appreciated.
Jx

(Terri ) #132

Of course and please let me know if you find some good info. I am a believer that a keto diet is an important approach! xx

Yes, like @chate1 said, ketopetsanctuary is a great resource. You can even email them and if they are not swamped they will give you a hand to figure out a the keto proportions for your specific pup. Good luck!!

(Terri ) #134

I have heard that they are very helpful:) Here is a link to ordering a free ebook on ketogenic diet and canine cancer on ketopet sanctuary site.
http://eepurl.com/cWqFXn

(Jess Lai) #135

just wondering: is diarrhea normal at the beginning of the diet change??? coz she has a bit of it this morning since she changed her diet started last night.

In my case one of them got diarrhea for about 2 days then it normalized, the other two dogs were just fine. All of them poop a lot less now, and it doesnā€™t smell as bad.

(Jess Lai) #137

thank you Carina. Iā€™m sorry to have all these question. Since it is the beginning of her new diet change and fighting for cancer. I just need some reassurance about steps that I take. All we want is for her to feel as ok as possible.

many thanks to you and terri.

Jess xx

omg jess, please ask everything you want, if anything I am sorry I donā€™t have more information to give you. I hope things get better for you and your fur baby soon.

(Jess Lai) #139

thank you. we are keeping the positive mind and just go with the flow. If anything, we would rather be having her be with us, trying the natural way of healing, instead of going under the knife, it is way too painful even if the vet said that they will recover. I have no right to let her be cut open, take some out then hope she will feel nothing afterward, we all know this is a lie.

it would be kinder to let nature take its course.

(Terri ) #140

Oh, Iā€™m sorry! My pup did notā€¦ but my understanding is it is not at all uncommon for diet change to cause diarrhea (often with even changing kibble they advise to transition by adding old food with new food until completely eating new food without issues) You might try emailing ketopet and seeing if someone would respond to specific diet questions? Another source/site you may find some info and support is via https://www.planetpaws.ca Rodney Habib has a Dog Cancer Series and info on nutrition. Hope you get some answers and things calm down for your sweet pup soon:)

(Jess Lai) #141

Thank you Terri, my dog diarrhea stopped after the first day of diet change. She poops normally now. So I think her body is adjusting it pretty well. :slight_smile: