Keto people in France

(Ronald Weaver) #1

Anybody on here in France ? Pretty easy to eat keto here, but there are a few questions I’d like to put to a French keto freak…like what do you do with Rillons ?

(bulkbiker) #2

@Daisy is a France dweller…

(Ronald Weaver) #3

I thought she’d moved back to the Untied Kingdom ?

Still in France :slight_smile: The long-term plan is to move back to the UK but lord only knows when that will happen!

I have never heard of rillons TBH but after looking them up on Google - holy shitballs, I want to try them!

A French food consisting of small to medium sized cubes of high quality pork (typically from a pork belly) that have been slowly cooked in a covered pot to become candied.

Whereabouts in France are you @Ronald_Weaver?

(Ronald Weaver) #5

Hi Daisy,

We’re in the good bit…west of France just south of the Loire.

I’ve only recently noticed Rillons in the Supermarche and when I asked what you did with them, I was told “You eat them !” But the girl seemed to be kind of disgusted with them as if it was something she’d never ever eat herself…

So, as yet I still don’t know. Kind of looks like pork scratchings to the power 3 i.e. cubed !

Have you come across a form of pork scratching here ? I tried them but they’re soft and super chewy more like something you’d give a dog to play with. My mistake, you’re supposed to boil them up to create a base for making pates and stews and stuff.

Regards.

No I have never seen those either. I have got pig skin free from the butcher and made my own though :slight_smile:

You are a bit higher than me then - I am about halfway between Limoges and Toulouse. I drove all the way up to Blois a while back to pick up Ammi - my rescue lurcher - and it took me 12 hours and 2 speeding fines!

(Ronald Weaver) #7

Daisy
Admin

November 27

No I have never seen those either. I have got pig skin free from the butcher and made my own though :slight_smile:

You are a bit higher than me then - I am about halfway between Limoges and Toulouse. I drove all the way up to Blois a while back to pick up Ammi - my rescue lurcher - and it took me 12 hours and 2 speeding fines!

(Ronald Weaver) #8

I’ve been asking questions about rillons. We had a fine long lunch with some French friends recently and I brought up the topic of rillons. Ghislaine was a bit shocked that we even contemplated eating rillons….she said when she was a kid they used to get them but as they’re all a bit more affluent now they don’t really talk about it ! So she said if we wanted to try old-fashioned poor peoples’ food we should avoid supermarkets and go to a recommended charcuterie. Like Laurent Bernier who actually comes to our Tuesday morning market. She told me rillons are, as we’ve found out, cubes of roasted pork belly which are normally eaten sliced, cold with mustard as a light lunch or “field food” I was advised to ask for a local variation of this, known as Lard Roti which turns out to be just a bigger chunk…typically 350gm.
When I told her I’d been slicing and frying rillons in a pan she got all excited and said she knew it just had to be an Englishman who could transform humble peasant food to haute cuisine !
I’ve a feeling her tongue was somewhat in her cheek !
I also found out more about “Grillons” These are deep fried slices of pigs’ large intestine just before the colon. I’ve tried them, hoping they might be like pork scratchings, but sadly they’re not. I don’t speak from experience, but I couldn’t help thinking that this must be just like eating a human ear. Ghislaine shuddered when I told her and said if I insisted on eating stuff like that the only way to do it is when the grillons are hot and just out of the the fryer. She said she’ll force herself to cook some for us some day.
When I asked about Pork Crackling she said when she was in the Untied Kingdom she just loved it, but it was an English thing and the French grudgingly admit that they can’t improve on it so pointedly ignore it.

(Ronald Weaver) #9

Forgot to add…this piece cost €5.00 and will do for three lunches. Compare that to a Domino’s pizza in Glasgow which will cost you £15.00 !..and leaves you hungry again a few hours later.

Ah interesting. If you have a Lidl near you, they do a similar thing although not as nice looking as that piece. Poitrine fumé cuite. You’ll find it near the lardons and bacon.

It is worth asking butchers for pig skin - I have picked it up free. So if you are using them for things like this then ask for some skin. Oh and bones for broth while you are at it! I also keep meaning to ask if they have chicken skins too.

(Ronald Weaver) #11

Yes, I’ve had that from Lidl’s and it’s not bad.

I’ll go to Laurent’s big shop rather than his market stall to see about the skin. But I’ll need to do it steadily, I don’t want him to get the impression I’m another damn tight-fisted Scotch scrounger…!

Lol - softly softly :smiley: