Keto on a long flight

travel

(George) #1

So I have a few long flights in September, and just in case I don’t feel like fasting, and the in-flight food is super carby, I’m wondering what are some good foods I can bring with me on the flight that don’t require refrigeration and won’t cause any grief going through TSA?

Hard boiled eggs.

I live in S.America and it’s a 36 hour travel day to my typical N.America destination. Hard boiled eggs wrapped in a cloth in a bag work really well. TSA doesn’t care at all. And bonus - not really smelly when you go to eat them either.

(George) #3

I thought hardboiled eggs need to be refrigerated if you’re not going to consume them within a few hours (per Google)

Sorry I should have included more a timeline. From the time I leave my house for the airport to when I’ll probably want to eat again, it’ll be a good 16 hours or so minimum, which will be a little more than the halfway point of my flight-time

('Jackie P') #4

I recently had a long haul flight to Australia. I went with 2 friends who are also keto. They decided to eat what was available as it was so long and part of the holiday.
I didnt want to do that because I had worked hard to lose the weight, and didn’t want to feel unwell.
I took bags of macadamia nuts, pepperoni sausages (the hot ones) and babybel cheeses. I ate what I could from the in-flight meals , ie the meats, veg, butter, (wine!) etc and left the carbs.
Funnily enough my friends ate everything and were starving! I was very comfortable!
Enjoy your holiday :blush:

Never had a problem.

It’s 4 hours from my house to the airport, then another 4 usually until the flight board. I typically replace whatever they are serving for dinner on the overnight flight with eggs and then have the rest of the eggs 8 hours later just before landing. I’ve been doing this for years. Never had a problem, never gotten sick.

I’m new to keto but I come to keto woe from 20 plus years of extreme food intolerances and airlines haven’t served food I can eat at any point in that time. So I found other options.

Now, the one caveat is I am a farmer and raise my own hens and collect my own eggs. So freshness might be a factor here.

If you are worried about refrigeration there’s always the option of using one of these: cold pouch

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

Jacqueline has the right idea, nuts, stable type sausages and prewrapped cheese do not bother TSA at all. You could also carry a bag of pork rinds or cheese crisps as well. And eat anything you feel like that fits your WOE from the plane food. I do like to fast if at all possible, since it is a long flight you probably will get so bored you want to do something and eating is an option when everyone around you is doing it. I’d take a lot of my own entertainment, preloaded podcasts on my phone or even movie on my tablet.

Hope you enjoy your travels.

(George) #7

Ah, pepperoni, good idea! I’ll add that to my shopping list for the morning I leave.

I’m sure I’ll be able to pick some food off of the inflight meal, but since it’s southern china airlines, I’m expecting a good amount of sugary items, rice, etc. I’ll have to work around.

Thank you!

(George) #8

That’s exactly why I’m even entertaining the thought of not fasting. I do OMAD, so daily 24 hour fasts are easy for me, but when I’m just sitting there for 18+ hours on a plane with absolutely nothing to do except watch movies, I’m going to want to eat something lol

Thank you for the input!!

(Scott) #9

I vote for Macadamia nuts. They are also handy when staying with guests that don’t have a lot of low carb options like when they serve cereal and fruit for breakfast. I just disappear in my room for a moment and get a handful of nuts. Problem solved.

(George) #10

I always have the hardest time finding those at my local store. lol

(Carl Keller) #11

Many airlines cater to specific dietary needs. Unfortunately, low carb isn’t an option in any (that I know of). I would consider fasting and taking along some type of nut or low carb jerky as a backup.

(George) #12

Yeah I looked into this airlines’ options, and while they do have a diabetic option that claims to have no sugar, I still wouldn’t really trust it.

(Raj Seth) #13

Diabetic means “conventional “ diabetic - low fat, complex carbs and tasteless

(Shromona Das) #14

I don’t carry nuts because I’m addicted to them. I end up eating too much. Do carry cheese (brie, cheddar, Gouda) if you’re ok with lactose. I also carry a piece of low carb brownie just to combat that flight food tray hypnosis. Pepperoni, sausages and even roasted chicken breasts are good options. I also carry tiny packs of butter. That being said, you’ll always find some fat and meat in the meal. I take a bite or two. Else just have tea and coffee without milk. And if you’re in the mood, have some spirits (not wine).

(George) #15

That’s what I figured lol

(Natasha) #16

Pistachio nuts in their shells, so good because they take soooo long to eat!
Cheese strings
Jerky
Pork rinds
Mini cucumbers
Mini tomatoes

I think you’ll only have a problem bringing food items through customs at your arrival destination, so just make sure you either eat it or trash it!

(George) #17

Damn, I forgot all about customs. I was hoping to have something left over for my 23 hour layover too LOL

('Jackie P') #18

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:surely there will be an opportunity to restock!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #19

A lot of good ideas already. https://peopleschoicebeefjerky.com/ has some zero or very low carb jerky. A bit pricey but very high quality.

(KCKO, KCFO) #20

Good point. Take only enough to get you there.

Edited, this article is a broad over view, I don’t usually reference USA Today but this is short and good advice. https://traveltips.usatoday.com/airline-travel-food-15622.html

Bacially if you take prepackaged, not fresh foods, you will probably be ok. Avoid taking your own liquids of course.